Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    white-rose Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Jul 27, 2013, 08:10 AM
    How to deal with sabotaging co-worker?
    So I just started a new HR job about 3 weeks ago. I love the job, the culture and I get paid really well. It all sounds perfect at first glance, except one thing. When I was interviewed for my job so was the receptionist who has been here for 1 year before I started. So basically I got the job over her, she literally had none of the credentials and experience that I did to do the job. I was told she was interviewed to be nice and give her peace of mind because it is a smaller company. I have to deal with this girl on a regular basis even though we don't work in the same department, to mail things out, courier things, and other processes that she regulates at the front desk. When I approach her for help on how to learn these things, she is hostile to me, rude, and not very helpful at all. She will call my manager on an almost regular basis trying to tattle tale on me for anything she can, any little ounce of dirt she can find. The thing is I am going to make mistakes I've been there for less than a month, that is the learning process. But it makes it so hard to learn and stay positive when starting a new job someone is already trying to taint my reputation and trying to get me fired. I need to know what to do in this situation. I love my job, but this girl is starting to make me dread going to work everyday. I know she doing everything she can to try and make me quit, or have me fired so she can prove to my manager they should have hired her instead of me, and that I am incapable which I am not. The hardest part about going to my manager is finding hard proof of what she is doing, but she really is. She has been there longer than me, and I don't want my manager to look at me at petty and trying to start a high school rivalry with this girl. I just want to do my job and enjoy going to work, but I'm starting to think I should quit. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Have you tried asking her why she has the attitude toward you? I realize you already know, but I would try to get it out in the open.

The Manager doesn't see her behavior for what it is?

My concern is that you have 5 other threads about obtaining and keeping jobs and friends and one about being distanced from family. I realize you were considering changing careers, away from being a highly stressed Paralegal, having difficulty learning. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/intern...ng-663293.html https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ps-588125.html https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/workpl...ed-290853.html

Are you unrealistic when it comes to selecting friends and employers?

I can address law firms - the support staff chews on the para-professionals who chew on the Clerks who chew on the Attorneys and chew on the partners. It's a chain reaction, I saw a lot of it, I don't know why it happens, I cannot address other professions. If this is a law firm, where is the managing partner in this scenario?

I also recall your "why do all Americans dislike Canadians" thread - you are certainly entitled to an opinion but you have been somewhat confrontational on AMHD. You appear to have and "all" or "nothing" thinking.

Is that part of the problem?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
    From remembering and re-reading a tiny bit, it seems to me that you stew a lot and then blow your lid as you quit? I have that tendency at places of employment (or had, I'm retired) because I tried so hard to stay professional and not complain.

I would confront her bluntly but calmly. If she continues, I would confront her with others around. "I got this job based on my qualifications. There's no reason to take it out on me that they didn't give it to you. If you don't want to help me learn the ropes, don't."

As for Canadians, I even have close RELATIVES who are Canadian! Gasp! We joke sometimes. I recently remarked, after looking at the spikes on the Statue of Liberty's head, that no one was going to mess with HER head, and one Canadian shot back 'Why bother? There's nothing there.' They are constantly bashing the US. Heck, I think a lot more than we bash them.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2013, 01:39 PM
    They gave her an interview 'to be nice' so they know what she is about and they probably have dealt with a lot of stuff she has dealt them. So I'd make them aware that it annoys or bothers you that she is making issues out of your learning. In so many words let them know that you hope they do not have a problem with you over her trying to make you look bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sabotaging gains I have made. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing good things and not focusing on myself lately. People have been thanking me for helping(not the reason why I did it). I was starting to feel good about myself a little. Then more awareness about stuff from the past came up. I have always known these things but realized they...

How to deal with your husband hiding details about a co worker [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get your husband to see that he is manipulated by a female co-worker to the point that she will not allow him to leave the office because she is lonely?

How to deal with co-worker that had badmouth about me? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday, 2 of my co-workers got into a fight. (I just use the name Miss A and Miss B). This morning when I got to work, Miss B wanted to talk to me. So we sat down in a room and she started telling me how the fight got started. I just listened to what she had to say and didn't make any...

My ex-employer is sabotaging my attempts to get a new job! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, what can I do! After 4 years of being yelled at and basically verbally abused every day, I decided I couldn't take it anymore, even if I needed the money. So I put in my resignation and worked out my last 2 weeks, but now I'm being blacklisted by my ex-boss. I've been trying to find a job...

A co-worker I don't like asked me out.how does one deal with the ensuing awkwardness [ 6 Answers ]

Hello people, I am dealing with an awkward situation in the workplace and I thought I'd come here for help. For the past four summers, I have worked for a firm that manufactures electronics. I like it there a lot. Well, about two weeks ago we hired a new guy, I'll call him Jake. I don't work...

View more questions Search