Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Jan 6, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Aluminum Wire
    My sister bought a house and then discovered she has aluminum wiring. After promising to help her out, I quickly realized I was in over my head.

First of all, I am a Master Electrician, but I haven't done residential wiring in years, other than personal home improvements. I work mostly commercial and industrial. While I have extensive experience with aluminum feeders, I have never dealt with aluminum 15 and 20 amp residential branch circuits.

I have done some research, and other than replacing every inch of wiring in the house, there seems to be only one CPSC approved method of permanent repair: pigtailing a short piece of copper conductor to the aluminum using the COPALUM splice system. Even though several types of "wire nut" type connectors are UL approved for Cu/Al wiring, it seems these actually make the problem worse.

The COPALUM splicing tool costs between $3 and $5 grand, and is only sold to electricians who have taken a company certification, which probably runs another couple thousand dollars, plus hotel and airfare to wherever they give the course. (The company is in PA, I live in Seattle, sister is in AZ) Then the COPALUM splices themselves cost about $15 each, so at 3 per handy box, it comes to $45 just in parts for every receptacle, switch, and light in the house.

But I have found another system I am considering using, it is called AlumniConn:

http://www.alcopstore.com/

The connectors look like the small insulated terminal blocks that are sometimes used in motor "peckerheads." They require no special licensing, and cost about $3 each. The screw box terminals are similar to the lugs used on feeders, and it looks like a clean installation.

So far, I have not come across any negative information about these connectors, only that they must be torqued exactly to the manufacturers specs. Even the CPSC is "non-commital" about their use.

I was wondering if any of you residential guys have had experience with either the COPALUM or the Alumniconn system, and specifically, if you have had a negative experience with Alumniconn connectors.

Thanks,
    BoB
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 11:25 PM

Wow! You did your research.

I ordered a sample of the latter. Note that they say to only use the connector once. That leads me to believe that they have a small amount of anerobic threadlocker on the screw.
    This would make a lot of sense. Torqueing would also ensure that the threadlocker would work.

It would essentially be the same as if you used Locktite 222 on the screws. I rebuit X-ray sets from the 50's using that stuff.

Note that it looks like a typical ground bar, therefore it has lots of surface area for stranded conductors and it's been proven to work for solid conductors. Without the threadlocker, I wouldn't trust a solid connection at all.

The anti-oxidizing paste is a proven technology.

I don't think I would have any issues with it.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Oct 6, 2011, 10:41 AM
    I installed the AlumniCon connectors in my sister's house last year. She tells me she has had no problems since then.

The manufacturer recommended a metric size screwdriver, and of course I ordered the wrong one! You need a 3/16" bit (Electrician's "trim" size)
    I did the job on a weeks vacation, and didn't have time to order the correct size bit, so I ended up buying a Klein trim screwdriver, taking it to a local shop and having them weld itto the shaft of the torque driver. Wasted a day doing so, but the job went smoothly after that.

The only other problem I had was box fill in a couple boxes where they installed five wires unde a gray wirenut. I had to use three or four connectors, which packed the box. I put wiremold surface extensions on these boxes.

Other than that, a good product which I recommend to anyone with aluminuim wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

#4 aluminum wire in PVC Conduit [ 2 Answers ]

Is it per code to run non direct burial aluminum cable in a PVC conduit underground. I thought I had read where since aluminum wiring heats up more than copper it could cause problems. I am going to run 150 feet of conduit.. Tks Jack Schmieder

How to safely wire aluminum to copper wire [ 5 Answers ]

I am switching a non-programmable t-stat to a Honeywell 5-2day programmable one that is for baseboard, covectors and fan-forced heaters. The model number is RLV430A. I have a wall Cadet heater so it should be OK. Problem is when I opened the package the wiring on the t-stat is aluminum. ...

Copper or Aluminum wire [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just replaced my Suncutter Package system with a Goodman Package system. The question is should I replace the (main power supply to AC disconnect) aluminum wire with copper? Thanks Brian

Hampton Bay light - aluminum wire? [ 1 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay light fixture (sku 141531) has one white and one black wire (stranded 18AWG) which are a silver color. I tried scratching to see if copper is under some coating, and cut a piece off the end to see if the end showed copper, both with no copper showing. Is there a way to confirm if the...

Junction box for #2 aluminum wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need to join a new 100A feed on #2 aluminum wire to an existing #2 wire running from the panel. So this is actually #2 alum triplex in both cases plus a #8 bare copper ground. The junction will take place in an access panel in the wall where the two PVC conduits meet. What size junction box do...

View more questions Search