Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladydiyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
    How to safely wire aluminum to copper wire
    I am switching a non-programmable t-stat to a Honeywell 5-2day programmable one that is for baseboard, covectors and fan-forced heaters. The model number is RLV430A. I have a wall Cadet heater so it should be OK. Problem is when I opened the package the wiring on the t-stat is aluminum. Everything I have read tells me aluminum is quite dangerous, so is it okay and can anyone tell me how to connect the aluminum to the copper wiring safely?
    Thank you,
    ladydiyer
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Oct 25, 2008, 05:03 PM

You are certain it is aluminum? Not tinned copper? They can look almost alike. Read the instructions, they should tell you how to do it if it actually is aluminum. Otherwise you will have to go to an electrical supply house and get pressure connectors that are listed for AL to CU. They are available, just not commonly available.

Oct 26, 2008, 12:14 AM
    No, I'm not sure if it is aluminum. The wires are silver and when reading the instructions, the second bulleted item states "Special CO/ALR soderless connectors must be used when connection with aluminum conductors". I suppose I assumed because it mentions it, that these wires are aluminum but I once I walked away for awhile I realized they may not be aluminum. I just want to make sure I don't cause a fire by switching out the proper device. The instructions go onto say:

This new t-stat cannot be used with the following

*if resisitive load is under 2 A,
    *the resistive load is over 14.6 A,
    *systems driven by a contactor or relay(inductive load),
    * or central heating system

No where on the package does it say the wires are aluminum. I suppose it would need to state that somewhere on the package if that were true.

Thank you for your help,
    ladydiyer
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Oct 26, 2008, 03:17 PM

By the wording in the instructions, it would lead me to think it is tinned copper. I can tell by handling if it is aluminum or not, but I can't explain to you how to do that on the internet. But to be safe, go to an electrical supply house and get AL/CU connectors. They will work even if there is no aluminum there.

Oct 26, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Thank you for your help on that This is such a great web-site, I had no idea there were places I could go for help like this.
    Thanks again.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 04:01 AM
    You might also get a small tube of DE-OX or some other trade name. If the wire is aluminum it will help with oxidation problem caused by moisture etc.

Ilsco - Electrical connectors, compression, taps, splicers, grounding and more

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper or Aluminum wire [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just replaced my Suncutter Package system with a Goodman Package system. The question is should I replace the (main power supply to AC disconnect) aluminum wire with copper? Thanks Brian

Attaching Copper wire to alum. Wire in fuse box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a electric stove to hook up in my house that had a gas stove. The electric 50 amp receptacle is already in place from the previous owner. The existing stove “aluminum” wiring goes into the circuit breaker box, but the wiring is cut off inside the circuit breaker box and is too short to...

Hampton Bay light - aluminum wire? [ 1 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay light fixture (sku 141531) has one white and one black wire (stranded 18AWG) which are a silver color. I tried scratching to see if copper is under some coating, and cut a piece off the end to see if the end showed copper, both with no copper showing. Is there a way to confirm if the...

Junction box for #2 aluminum wire [ 3 Answers ]

I need to join a new 100A feed on #2 aluminum wire to an existing #2 wire running from the panel. So this is actually #2 alum triplex in both cases plus a #8 bare copper ground. The junction will take place in an access panel in the wall where the two PVC conduits meet. What size junction box do...

Copper Wire to Silver Wire [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a replacement flush ceiling fixture. The black and white wires coming from my electrical box in the ceiling are copper colored, the black and white wires in the new fixture have a silver colored wire. Is it OK to connect them?

View more questions Search