Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclegus0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 07:26 AM
    I have a ge fridge model# GSH22JFTA The line at the rear of the fridge frosts ups
    & melts water & will refrost but everything works fine
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
    That is the suction line coming from the coils in the freezer that is frosting up. That line can frost up, but it can indicate that the freezer is not defrosting enough. If the unit works well then I would not worry much about it. The main thing you should keep a constant watch on is dirt on the coils under the unit. These coils will fill up with dirt and cause your unit to burn up from overheating. They must be cleaned twice a year by removing kick plate on front and removing cover on rear and blowing out dust and dirt, and best washing off coils with a light spray of water (with unit unplugged before you do any work). After cleaning it put rear cover back or it will not work. Keeping the coils clean will prevent most problems. DrTom4444
    unclegus0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    When the line frosts up & melts it melts enough to cause damage to the basement ceiling could it be something else?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2011, 04:38 AM
    You can prevent this by drying it thoroughly while it is off and putting some small rubber pipe insulation (called Armaflex) around the line and sealing it to the cabinet where it goes in the unit and against the compressor. Use GE Silicone Rubber caulk-it's about $6.00 a tube. The cheap stuff will not work. It must be air tight. This will stop all condensation from occurring. That is the main reason you see AC lines insulated-to prevent condensation from dripping off the suction line. Normally, you don't have a lot of condensation, but maybe you have a lot of humidity in your house. This will solve the problem. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Fridge - Freezing bottom half of the fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a side-by-side refrigerator. The freezer is working fine, but the refrigerator side, the fridge is freezing bottom half. Recently fridge was not working at all, so the service guy came and replaced the fan, after that the freezer is OK, but the refrigerator is freezing the bottom half. ...

Water line to fridge hooked up but fridge won't dispense water. [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I recently bought a Frigidaire Gallery (Model LGUB2642LF2) & a water line kit for the icemaker/water dispenser. We have a 1/4" copper tube connecting a cold water pipe to our fridge. Initially installing the line met with some difficulty in that I over-tightened the compression...

Why are cooling pipes at the top of the fridge?how is the air left in fridge cooled [ 2 Answers ]

Why are cooling pipes at the top of the fridge?how is the air left in fridge cooled?

Maytag fridge (MTB1956DEW) problem - freezer frosting up, fridge not staying cold [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag fridge with top freezer. The model # is MTB1956DEW. Over the last week, my freezer continuously frosts up with lost of crystal ice on the back and top while at the same time the fridge section below is not staying cold at all. I really like this fridge and really don't want to...

Ge fridge freezer frozen fridge not cold [ 1 Answers ]

We took it apart and defrosted all the coils and it worked great for a week then the same thing happened again. I also replaced the gasket this week could it be from over stuffing or maybe the frost free is not working?

View more questions Search