Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omarromy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2011, 04:40 AM
    What is the formula to get the size of wire and size of breaker for 400watts lamp
    Electrical load
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2011, 05:58 AM

Watts / voltage = amps
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
    For lamps incorporating ballasts like fluorescent lamps multiply by 1.6
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 22, 2011, 04:46 PM

Can you claarify that, multiply what by 1.6? Omarromy can you tell use what you are doing and where you live. If this is a single fixture in a residence we use 14/2 wire with a 15 amp breaker pretty much standard.

May 22, 2011, 05:22 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    In BS7671 it is mentioned to multiply the current by 1.6 to select the wire size.Breaker size depends on quantity of lamps connected or load. Normally in homes and offices 6A mcb is used. In factories where many fittings are connected to a single switch the engineer should calculate or consultant should specify in drawings
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 22, 2011, 06:37 PM

Not sure what "BS7671" is but, in the USA, lets look at a typical residential circuit. 14 gauge wire is rated to carry 15 amps at 120 vac. There is no number in this sequence of 14, 15 and 120 that you can multiply by 1.6 and get 14 gauge wire.

May 23, 2011, 03:05 AM
    in BS practicing countries,lighting circuits are fed at 240V 50Hz and it is the normal practice to use 1mm^2 pvc insulated cables or sometimes 1.5mm^2 depending on the load

Jun 5, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    The load in a lamp circuit incorporating a ballast(fluorescent) is the lamp watts plus the loss in the ballast. That's why a multiplying factor of 1.6 is recommended by the Institution of electrical engineers,UK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size breaker for 6/3 wire for 100ft [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 250 ft run and I came across a 100 ft of 6/3. I want to run the 6/3 from temp pole to another box. Then use existing wire the rest of the way. What size breaker should I use at temp pole?

Wire size wire & circuit breaker do I need for a 15.8 range [ 2 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker & wire size do I need rfor a 15.8 raqnge ?

Wire size and breaker upgrade. [ 3 Answers ]

I am wiring up a secondary basement bathroom that calls for a saniflo saniplus toilet, motor has a 7 amp rating (to also be used for the shower). The home run is #12 to an outlet in the bathroom which branches to an outlet in the sitting room which has a freezer (5.6 amp) and a switch from the...

What wire size, and breaker rating do I need. [ 21 Answers ]

I am looking to add power to my out building. It is 100/120ft from the main service box. The service box is a 200a service, and the total of the breaker installed is 230. There are plenty of extra slots for breakers to be added. I am wanting to run 2circuits to the building. #1 will operate 2...

Wire and Breaker size [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a steam generator for a steam shower. The unit draws 38 amps. I need a GFCI breaker. The run is 35 feet. What size wire and breaker do I need?

View more questions Search