Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcme Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Wire size and breaker upgrade.
    I am wiring up a secondary basement bathroom that calls for a saniflo saniplus toilet, motor has a 7 amp rating (to also be used for the shower). The home run is #12 to an outlet in the bathroom which branches to an outlet in the sitting room which has a freezer (5.6 amp) and a switch from the light, they are both #14. I would like to install another outlet for the saniplus motor and may have to make the home run a junction box and run everything from there. My question is in two parts 1) Should I use #12 wire for the motor to the junction box and 2) should I upgrade the 15 amp breaker to a 20.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2009, 04:45 AM

You may use #12, but since the existing circuit has some #14 wire, the breaker must remain 15 amp to protect the entire circuit.
    mcme Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks. I had forgot that 14 has to stay at 15 amps. The total amps (freezer,pump)is just over 12 so hopefully all is good.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Glad you brought it up, as I think there will be a problem running all of the load on one 15 amp circuit. You would be better off running a new 20 amp circuit for the pump at least.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What wire size, and breaker rating do I need. [ 21 Answers ]

I am looking to add power to my out building. It is 100/120ft from the main service box. The service box is a 200a service, and the total of the breaker installed is 230. There are plenty of extra slots for breakers to be added. I am wanting to run 2circuits to the building. #1 will operate 2...

100 amp breaker wire size [ 5 Answers ]

Will #2 aluminum wire fit a 100 amp cutler - hammer circuit breaker

Wire and Breaker size [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a steam generator for a steam shower. The unit draws 38 amps. I need a GFCI breaker. The run is 35 feet. What size wire and breaker do I need?

Wire size for large power upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

I have a meter established at my garage that has 250 amp service. There is nothing except a single light bulb there. 100 and 190 feet away I have two piers. I need to establish. The pier 100 ft away is 100 feet long. The pier 190 ft away is 260 feet long. I need 6 30 amp plugs on short pier and 8...

Wire size in a 100 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if a 2/0 wire will fit in a siemens 100 breaker? Thanks for your help

View more questions Search