Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdoyle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Can a 16 year old decide not to live with his parents due to mental abuse?
    I had a family staying with me for 7 months there son wanted to stay till he turns 18 because he wants to stay near his high school and friends,His mom said yes now a few weeks later she changed her mind and is telling him she would rather see him in a foster home or in jail then with me and my family(both my wife and I have stable jobs, we do not fight or argue a lot we have lived in 2 places in the last 5 years). Does he have the right to stay or what can we do he is so upset and does not want to go to that home.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:24 PM

What state is this happening in?
    Also in most states the answer is flat out no. Do you have anything like temporary poa to care for the child ?

Jul 21, 2010, 07:29 PM

Florida and no they were going to sign a paper for school and doctors but they are refusing now.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:31 PM

Then you must return the child or allow the child to go into foster care. You have no choice. You could be charged with kidnapping at this point if it goes any further. You have no legal rights to the child.

Jul 21, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Then you must return the child or allow the child to go into foster care. You have no choice. You could be charged with kidnapping at this point if it goes any further. You have no legal rights to the child.
    So because he is in my house now if they call cops even though they have the right to come get him and he is able to leave freely I can still go to jail?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:41 PM

Its possible. Im not saying its going to happen but it could. Because you're the adults in the situation and your harboring him at this point. Have they asked about coming and getting him ?

Jul 21, 2010, 07:45 PM

Yes they said they will be here in 2 days to get him and I said OK he is packing his stuff...
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:51 PM

Then that's all you can do. Im sorry. Its tough for you and the child Im sure but the law has to be followed at this point.

Jul 21, 2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks
    neilyoung_at_heart_2 Posts: 14, Reputation: -1

Jul 22, 2010, 01:05 PM

Petition the Court to become emancipated from his parents showing that he has a good place to live.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neilyoung_at_heart_2 View Post
    Petition the Court to become emancipated from his parents showing that he has a good place to live.
    Please think before posting. This is a legal board. And we try to stick with the law. There is nothing here to indicate the child would be allowed to emancipate also the child would still be required to return to the parents house. The OP has no legal ties at this point.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by neilyoung_at_heart_2 View Post

Are you saying that the Courts require nothing more than proof that the child has a place to live in order for the child to become emancipated?

You've been an Attorney for 40 years - what is the law on this?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to live normally when my beloved end up happily with me due to his parents. [ 2 Answers ]

I love someone,who also loves me a lot... but since he is a single child of his parents and belongs from different community of mine,when he told about me at her home,their parents got panic.His mother got ill,and her blood pressure got abnormally up and down.She is very ill and doctor has told him...

Can a 17 year old choose to live with another relative other than their parents [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having family promblems at home & is on probation so what ever he/she does his/her parents call the probation officer and tries to get get them pu tin jail but in reality they aren't doing anything wrong and is only on probation because if you fight in our school they press charges....

When can my 7 Year Son decide if he wants to live with Mom or Dad? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 7 year Son which his father has custody of him. I have 2 other teens 15 and 14 years old from other relationship. I get to spend time with my Son every other weekend from Friday through Tuesday. He loves to be with me and his siblings, we go fishing, swimming and we get to play with...

Mental Abuse [ 4 Answers ]

Ok hear is my situation. I am separated from my wife for about 8 years ( I know that I should have gotten divorced a WHILE ago). I have already won Temporary residential custody of my child who is now 8 years of age. I never asked her for child support for the 8 years I have had custody of the...

Mental abuse [ 4 Answers ]

I am very concerned. I have a 17 year old cousin who always talks to me about her father making her feel like she is not worth the air she breathes and that she is basically nothing. She has asked me what she needs to do but I really do not know what to tell her. She has tried to talk to her...

View more questions Search