Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwcjr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Mental Abuse
    Ok hear is my situation. I am separated from my wife for about 8 years ( I know that I should have gotten divorced a WHILE ago). I have already won Temporary residential custody of my child who is now 8 years of age. I never asked her for child support for the 8 years I have had custody of the child, granted that she kept up with her visitation and provided medical insurance for him. Well I recently desided to sue her for child support because she she fails to see her child, and doesn't call him. She will usually call or ask to see him on holidays if that. She didn't even call him last August for his birthday. She has only provided Health Insurance for him for like 6 month of his life, so I pay for his doctor bills out of my pocket if he has to see the doctor. Which are $85 a visit now. Needless to say I won the case in court for the child support.
    My Ex likes to talk bad about me to my Son when she does talk to him. I don't know if it is because she is jealous of the life that I have had with my kid or what, but I don't think that that is fair for the child to hear these things about me when they aren't true. She talk's really nasty to me when and IF I allow her to even speak to me ( I choose to not talk to her) I recently found out that she told my child that she will speak to me that way until I learn to grow up. Now, in my opinion how am I the one that needs to grow up? That just doesn't make sense to me.
    This leads to my question. Is this a liable reason to sue my Ex when we go for a divorce (which was the main reason I filed for child support) for Mental Child Abuse or degrading my character in front of my child. Usually after he talks to her his whole attitude will change. He gets nasty, and even has had problems in school because she is never around. I have worked very hard with the school that he goes to now to turn his grades from f's and d's and cursing and acting like a bully in school, into a well behaved polite straight A student.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 03:54 PM

No, you cannot incorporate a lwsuit for ANYTHING into an action for divorce - you can certainly cite any behavior you can prove as grounds for your divorce but you cannot sue her for divorce AND sue her for comments she has made about you.

Also - suing for support because she doesn't visit will not go over well with the Court. She either should support or child or not. The other issues have nothing to do with that and you will look vengeful.

Perhaps the 3 of you need to go into counselling - she because for whatever reason she can't let go; you, because she is still able to push your buttons; the child because he is caught in the middle.

May 11, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    No, you cannot incorporate a lwsuit for ANYTHING into an action for divorce - you can certainly cite any behavior you can prove as grounds for your divorce but you cannot sue her for divorce AND sue her for comments she has made about you.

Also - suing for support because she doesn't visit will not go over well with the Court. She either should support or child or not. The other issues have nothing to do with that and you will look vengeful.

Perhaps the 3 of you need to go into counselling - she because for whatever reason she can't let go; you, because she is still able to push your buttons; the child because he is caught in the middle.

Well thank you for the answer, But I have already won the lawsuit for child support. I HAD to file for child support to follow through with filing for a divorce.
    As far as counseling goes. Me - I don't need it. I don't even think of her anymore. I have already moved on and have has a steady woman for over 3 years now. My son has already met her and really likes her. There is no way that I would EVER get back with her. So I see no reason for counseling for my behalf. As for her- If she feels the need to have counseling to get over her past and me then that is on her. My basic concern is my Son and the way he views me. And for her to bad mouth me to him is what gets to me. Her personally I don't care what she does. Like I said I haven't been with her for 8 years and have already moved on.

Thank you for your input
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 05:10 PM

No problem - but as long as she is still able to push your buttons, I personally think you need to talk to somebody. I'm divorced. My husband could set himself on fire and I would react. I don't care what he says to anybody.

But, of course, you know what your child is going through far better than I do. If he can deal - and I didn't think he could - with the name calling and insults against you, so be it.

May 12, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    No problem - but as long as she is still able to push your buttons, I personally think you need to talk to somebody. I'm divorced. My husband could set himself on fire and I would react. I don't care what he says to anybody.

But, of course, you know what your child is going through far better than I do. If he can deal - and I didn't think he could - with the name calling and insults against you, so be it.
    If my ex set herself on fire - I would celebrate!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mental abuse by a partner [ 7 Answers ]

Hi to all reading this, I am in a relationship with someone and for sometime now, I get the feeling that I am being mentally abused by him. I say this because I can recall almost all of our arguments that we have had, I am told it is "my fault", "because of me" "because of what i may have said...

Mental and Emotional Abuse [ 19 Answers ]

I'm in a terrible situation and it's affecting my son and I. I gave up my apartment to move in with a man I thought loved me. He has continued to cheat on me with several women, and constantly mentally and emotionally abuse my son and I. I pray to god I don't get a disease. I have been looking for...

Mental Abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

Let me explain why I am on here and a little about myself, I have been married for four years same man never cheated ever, We have a beautiful three year old she is my world, My husband has been accusing me of cheating on him since we first got together, which is something that I would never do and...

Is this mental abuse for me and my child? [ 14 Answers ]

The father of my son always has something negative to say about me and my parenting. I'm basically a single mother who lives with my child's father and I work with my 1 yr old. I don't feel that I should have to hold him while I do everything but if his father hears him cry he flips out on me...

Mental abuse [ 4 Answers ]

I am very concerned. I have a 17 year old cousin who always talks to me about her father making her feel like she is not worth the air she breathes and that she is basically nothing. She has asked me what she needs to do but I really do not know what to tell her. She has tried to talk to her...

View more questions Search