Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bear124 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
    Can a 17 year old choose to live with another relative other than their parents
    My friend is having family promblems at home & is on probation so what ever he/she does his/her parents call the probation officer and tries to get get them pu tin jail but in reality they aren't doing anything wrong and is only on probation because if you fight in our school they press charges. How can his/her aunt (who by the way raised him/her until they were 14 when his/her parents came and took him.her from their aunt) get temperary custody before they put him/her in jail and they can't graduate high school because being gone for 30 days they will fail? I need help asap pleasee.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 08:00 PM

No, he can not "choose" anything till he is 18. And if he is already 17, court action from the aunt would take months and a lot of money and still most likely not work.

So I guess he needs to stop having family problems at home,
    What is the problems, what is happening to make them call

I ask this since you seem to have the idea that "fighting" is not a serious issue.
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 08:00 PM

Prove to a court that the parents are unfit, or gain permission from said parents

Jan 10, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no, he can not "choose" anything till he is 18. And if he is already 17, court action from the aunt would take months and alot of money and still most likely not work.

So I guess he needs to stop having family problems at home,
    what is the problems, what is happening to make them call

I ask this since you seem to have the idea that "fighting" is not a serious issue.
    That's not what I'm saying at all actually.
    What I'm saying is that this persons parents treat him like they don't feed him because its "their food", this persons mom babysits like 20 kids and feeds them without a problem, this persons mother told her hudband to beat the out of this kid because "she doesnt give a ", and she told this kid that has a parent the law only says that she has to feed the kid pb&j and shelter the kid & that's all she is obligated to do. So this kid went to go drive to work she freaked out for literally no reason and call the probation officer he was disobedient and she made all this up & I know she did because I was there. So now the kid has court tomorrow and probably won't be coming home & I don't think its right.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 08:13 PM

So he calls child protective services and reports abuse to them, to his teacher or police.

But he can't just decide where to live, and expect being taken into foster care by social services for abuse,
    Legal actoin to get custody would take months and 1000's of dollars

Jan 10, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    so he calls child protective services and reports abuse to them, to his teacher or police.

but he can't just decide where to live, and expect being taken into foster care by social services for abuse,
    legal actoin to get custody would take months and 1000's of dollars
    Even temp custody? & what if it all takes place in court tomorrow & there are other people to testify
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bear124 View Post
    even temp custody? & what if it all takes place in court tomorrow & their are other people to testify
    If he is going to court over charges he has gotten then its not about custody. So they won't even hear it.

Jan 10, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If he is going to court over charges he has gotten then its not about custody. So they wont even hear it.
    He's not he's going because his mom called and wants him put in jail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At 16 in Oregon can I choose who I want to live with [ 5 Answers ]

I am 16 and I live in Oregon. My dad has custody of me and I don't want to live with him. I want to live with my mom. My dad tells me I don't have the right to choose then my mom tells me that I do. My dad doesn't hit me or anything like that. He yells and has threatened to hit me but never has. I...

Who do you choose parents or partner? [ 2 Answers ]

Imagine that you are in a relationship and you love the person you are with so much and you also love your parents. However, your parents don't like your partner, but you want to spend the rest of your life with this person. Who do you choose? Do you listen to your parents as they might be right...

Age to choose where to live [ 33 Answers ]

In the state of South Dakota, what age do you need to be before you can choose which parent you want to live with?

Can I choose were I want to live at 16? [ 16 Answers ]

:( :confused: Am I old enough to choose to live with my father at the age of 16? I don't get along with my mother, and my father listins to me and gets me. Is their anything I can do without going to cort? Like am I old enough to leave home? Please help!:(

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

View more questions Search