Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oleschool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Electrical Wiring
    I have a 2 story house with 2 electrical panels. The house was built in the 60s. I want to move the panel in the living room to the panel in the basement, an install with 200 amp service. How do I go about removing the panel in the living room to the one in the basement without doing a total rewire. The house still has the older type wiring.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 03:48 AM
    I assume you need to extend all the branch circuit wiring to the new panel location. You can use the old panel box as a large junction box to splice onto new cables that will extend to the new panel, if you can make the cover completely closed with no openings, or have a new blank cover made. Or replace the old panel with a new large junction box large enough for all the existing and new cables and splices. There are allowances and calculations to arrive at the size junction box depending on the totla quantity of wires and the sizes of each wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring my basement. I am by no means a professional but I generally figure things out and like to adhere to code and inspections. I am running a line of recepticals around a corner. My questing is, Do I have to drill holes in the 2X4's in the corner or can I bring the cable up...

Electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How to wire a sub panel for the purpose of installing a new elctric range in a remodeled kitchen. The main panel is a 100 amp square d breaker box , as is the new sub panel box. Sincerely, bill rinaldi Scranton, pa.

Hot Tub Electrical Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install a Dimension One spa that the manufacture calls for using #6-3 awg wire and 240 Volt - 50 Amp with a GFCI breaker and disconnect. I had the house pre wired for a hot tub and 240 Volt service. They installed a 50 Amp breaker in the main box and ran about 40...

Wiring Electrical Baseboard Heater [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Few Concerns Wiring A New Electrical Baseboard Heater.the Heater Is A Marley 22ov,2000w,9 Amp Hydronic Heater.wall Mounted Thermostat Is A Fahrenheit Md26 Double Line Break.I Am A Little Confused As To What Type Of Breaker I Need To Install.I Have A Cutler Hammer Subpanel.do I Need A...

Electrical Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a 20 amp circuit for my frig outlet in the basement. I would like to install a recessed 6" IC Halo fixture on this circuit. To do so, can I use a 14/2 gauge wire or should I use a 12/2 wire which is meant for the 20 amp circuit?

View more questions Search