Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WALTER WRONSKI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Wiring Electrical Baseboard Heater
    I Have A Few Concerns Wiring A New Electrical Baseboard Heater.the Heater Is A Marley 22ov,2000w,9 Amp Hydronic Heater.wall Mounted Thermostat Is A Fahrenheit Md26 Double Line Break.I Am A Little Confused As To What Type Of Breaker I Need To Install.I Have A Cutler Hammer Subpanel.do I Need A Single Pole Or Double Pole?what Amperage Breaker?also,if You Have Any Wiring Tips On How To Wire The Heater To The Thermo. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Which unit do you have? The Marley # HBB2008?

See the attached product info, and the installation instructions:
    http://www.marleymeh.com/develop/pro.../ZBL-BLFOO.pdf
    http://www.marleymeh.com/develop/pro...0-2083-004.pdf

Please note that there is no 220 Volts listed, only 208 units or 208/240 volt units.

The supply voltage is important, and that you have the correct unit for the voltage you have. A mismatch in voltage suppling the unit can either result in poor heating or a burned out unit.

The HBB2008 is for 208 volts, and will draw 9.6 amps, the wire feeding one unit needs to be rated at least 125% of the 9.6 amps, totals 12 amps, so #14wire is allowed, and a 2 pole 15 amps breaker is needed.

Electricians usually use a minimum of #12 wire and 20 amp breakers to feed heat. But, for your one unit, #14 is allowed.

The two wire plus ground feeder cable, feeds the theromostat, conects to the LINE side, and then a two wire plus ground cable connects to the LOAD on the stat and runs to the heater.

Beware, that you are working with some voltage between 208 and 240 volts, depending on your actual circumstance.

Hope this helps.
    WALTER WRONSKI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Wiring Electrical Baseboard Heat
    Thanks For The Answer.the Specifics On The Heater Are A Marley Plf224d,240v,8.3 Amps.still Need A 20a Double Pole Breaker?why A Double Pole And Not A Single Pole?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2006, 09:45 AM
    A 240 volt circuit requires a two pole circuit breaker. A single pole breaker will only deliver 120 volts to the circuit.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Just wanted to add that Marley makes very good ceiling fans. That is all :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard heater wiring circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I just finished intaling a baseboard heater and I have a question that has been nagging me. The heater is on 240 circuit. So, I ran 12/2 and used the black and white to run my two hot wires as is common practice. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but this got me wondering. I have...

Electrical baseboard heater [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing two baseboard heaters in an additionn (two separate rooms). I will be running new wire and putting them on the same circuit. The heaters will be 48" 240V rated at 1000 Watts (4.2 amps). My qestions: -What size wire should I use (12/3, 10/3, etc.)? -What should the amp...

Thermostat and electrical baseboard wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed 2 thermostat and 2 baseboards but none are heating... I wonder if my wiring is OK. I have 120 on both wires in the baseboard but no heat at all... here is a diagram of my wiring. The wiring in my baseboard is OK. On one side, I have 2 wires linked with a wirenut and on the...

Baseboard heater help [ 2 Answers ]

I have to replace a missing baseboard heater 110 volt 1500 watt all I can find at home depot Lowe's etc is 220 volt can I use one of those hooked to 110 I do understand the output would be lower but actually don't need that much heat in that room anyway Thanks Gene

Wiring 220 baseboard heaters newbie [ 2 Answers ]

Hi . I am having probles setting up 2 baseboard heaters in my living room. I have the two of heaters connected and both wires going back to a thermostat box. Any help with how to connect the two heaters to a thermostat. I have a thermostat with a L1 and a t1 marked on them. I took it as L1 to main...

View more questions Search