Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helyk12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Girlfriend of 2 years wants a break
    Hey,

My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years now and for the most part things have been great. We have gone on 2 or 3 day "breaks" a few times throughout our relationship, usually because she said she wants to be independent and make her own decisions without having to worry about what someone else thinks. Well we have gotten back to this point and she now wants to take a break again, but this time it seems like she wants it to be a little longer (a few weeks to months).

I am kind of the jealous/insecure/clingy type, but have been working on this for many years and feel like I have made improvements... sort of. When things are going great between us then I feel very secure and don't feel the need to worry about what she's thinking/doing. But when things get rocky, or especially like this, then I can't help but worry if she just doing this to sort of ease the blow of the actual break up.

We have discussed marriage at great length and I did propose, but it was without her parents consent, which she really wants, and so even though she said yes we aren't technically engaged, but I thought it might be helpful to mention that we have discussed plans of a future together.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.

Aug 19, 2009, 11:48 AM

Also, she said she wants the break to make sure that being with me is the right thing.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 19, 2009, 11:55 AM

Seems like she's taken quite a lot of breaks my man. Also, if it's true that she needed the break to make decisions and be independent than 2/3 days hardly seems sufficient. If that's a line than so is this.

You seem very committed andvery in love with her, so much so your contemplating marriage without the thought of taking a break for one reason or another. Her, on the other hand, has taken quite a few, I wonder if how you feel for her is not how she feels for you, evidenced by your summation of the relationship.

I'd think long and hard about her actions.
    Sweet_Guy23 Posts: 304, Reputation: 27

Aug 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helyk12 View Post
    My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years now and for the most part things have been great. We have gone on 2 or 3 day "breaks" a few times throughout our relationship, usually because she said she wants to be independent and make her own decisions without having to worry about what someone else thinks.
    Supposely things are so great, but you guys keep having these breaks every so often. Doesn't sound great to me.

Well we have gotten back to this point and she now wants to take a break again, but this time it seems like she wants it to be a little longer (a few weeks to months).
    Dude. Whenever a female says she needs a "break" or "space" that means "LOW INTEREST" buddy... the best you can do is go missing. Give her a break all right.

And she's always asking for a break... Drop her man!!

I am kind of the jealous/insecure/clingy type, but have been working on this for many years and feel like I have made improvements... sort of. When things are going great between us then I feel very secure and don't feel the need to worry about what she's thinking/doing. But when things get rocky, or especially like this, then I can't help but worry if she just doing this to sort of ease the blow of the actual break up.
    Jealous/insecure/clingy are the WORST traits a MAN can have in a relationship, no wonder she is asking for breaks dude and losing interest... lay off her dude... WORK ON YOURSELF... you don't need a relationship quite frankly.

We have discussed marriage at great length and I did propose, but it was without her parents consent, which she really wants, and so even though she said yes we aren't technically engaged, but I thought it might be helpful to mention that we have discussed plans of a future together. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.
    Dude she asking for a break for (weeks to months) and you talked about the future... She said yes to your proposal but there's no engagement. Dude I wouldn't put too much value into a future right now with this girl...

There's no interest from her side dude...

Aug 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BMI View Post
    Seems like she's taken quite alot of breaks my man. Also, if it's true that she needed the break to make decisions and be independant than 2/3 days hardly seems sufficient. If that's a line than so is this.
    I guess I should've explained that better. The 2 - 3 days started the same as this break with the intent of it being longer. But she would start to realize during those few days how much she misses me and then we'd get back together.

She says she's tired of this up and down relationship and doesn't want to go through this anymore, but the fact that she has taken me back so many times makes me think that she really does have feelings for me, but that she just needs to branch out and be her own person for a while. She has kind of a sheltered family life.

Thank you guys for your responses.

Aug 19, 2009, 01:11 PM
    I guess I should've explained that better. The 2 - 3 days started off the same as this break with the intent of it being longer. But she would start to realize during those few days how much she misses me and then we'd get back together.

She says she's tired of this up and down relationship and doesn't want to go through this anymore, but the fact that she has taken me back so many times makes me think that she really does have feelings for me, but that she just needs to branch out and be her own person for a while. She has kind of a sheltered family life.

Thank you guys for your responses.
    Quit rationalizing her feelings and actions dude. She has very LOW INTEREST in you bottom line!!

DUDE IF SHE MISSES YOU... SHE WOULDN'T BE ASKING FOR A BREAK... DROP THIS GIRL!!

THE ONLY REASON SHE KEEPS ALLOWING YOU BACK IS BC SHE IS WEANING HERSELF Off YOU... ONCE SHE FIND WHAT "SHE REALLY WANTS" YOUR'RE GONE DUDE...

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN...
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 01:25 PM

Think of a relationship like this as a business. Which would you rather prefer to have in your business, a person who shows up on time for every day they are scheduled and does their part to make sure the job is done successfully? Or do you want an employee who shows up a few days, but also skips some days. Constantly blames their shortcomings on someone else?

Personally, the first option sounds pretty good to me.

Just think about that for awhile. And give her the space she wants, NO CALLING or TEXTING

Aug 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Thank you. I will try to keep this all in mind.

Aug 19, 2009, 01:52 PM

Yep dude... go NO CONTACT... GO MISSING...
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Aug 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Sweet Guy is exactly right... your interest level is way way higher than hers, never a good thing. My ex did the same thing to be a couple of years ago, we never got back together. Go missing, don't answer the phone or texts. She's expecting you to respond so it will throw her off. She wants space... give her all the space she wants, be gone. I know this goes against what your head's telling you right now but trust me it's true... and when enough time passes you'll realize it.

Aug 19, 2009, 03:10 PM

The key is to look at the "REALITY" of the situation. Most men rationalize and look at the situation through the eyes of their ego...

That's gets them in trouble every time...

REALITY COUNTS... EGO DOESN'T
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 04:56 PM

If she needs that many breaks from you, and you haven't resolved the problem, or even talked enough to identify it, your in deeper trouble than you think.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 08:05 PM

Yup, she's using you over & over.
    Why would you want to continue that?

Aug 20, 2009, 08:31 AM

Yep she is using you dude... you are nothing more than a self-esteem boost for this girl... she doesn't want you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my girlfriend of 7 years want a break? [ 36 Answers ]

Hello everybody! I hope you can assist me on my dilema! I have been with my girlfriend for seven years, we met when she was 16 and have been together since then, after high school she attended university for 4 years and gained her degree last year. She started Job hunting in January and found a...

Girlfriend of 2 years wants a break to make sure I'm the one she wants [ 11 Answers ]

I have been with my girlfriend for over two years, we are pretty much each others firsts both sexually and serious relationship wise; and we have been going out since high school and just finished our first year of college . During our relationship I had talked about possibly taking a break just to...

Should I break up with my girlfriend of 4+years? [ 10 Answers ]

It all started like a story book romance, everything was perfect. Then we went to college, we both gained weight, and our stress levels skyrocketed due to the college life we weren't really prepared for. I've been taking antidepressants mainly for anxiety, but also for depression and anger...

My girlfriend of four years wants to take a break [ 10 Answers ]

We met in high school when she was 15 I was 17, we moved in together after she graduated we have been having fights over stupid things a lot maybe every other day, but we always make up, she has been wanting to go out with friends more which is healthy for our time apart but on night I wanted to go...

Girlfriend says she wants a break after two years. [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with this girl for almost 2 yrs this upcoming October. We started in h.s and through our 1st yr away at college. I'm 20 and she is about to be 20 soon. We go to different schools so that was hard for us but we overcame it. We were each others first sexual partners and we really loved...

View more questions Search