Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Can the junction box on a recessed light fixture be used for different circuits
    I'm remodelling my kitchen and we have the ceiling open to add/move switches and outlets. We noticed that we have a junction box hidden in the ceiling (an obvious code violation). In order to eliminate the stand alone J-box, can I route the wiring through the J-box that is attached to the side of a recessed light fixture. J-boxes that are attached to recessed light fixtures are considered "code" and can accommodate up to 6 connections. The circuit that I want to run through the recessed light J-box is on a separate circuit (i.e. separate breaker) and is not part of the recessed light circuit. I've read on a previous post that it is OK to have different circuits in a J-box, but I'm not sure if this applies to recessed light J-boxes.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 11, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Poor design plan, but you can do it.

If there is no access above the ceiling--once the ceiling is rocked, then j-boxing the wiring in the can is favorable.

If you have access above the ceiling, then can you install a Junction box near the recess can light--instead of using the recess can's junction box?
    BRH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Thanks. I figured it was poor design, but I was hoping it was code.

We have no access above the kitchen. Bedroom floor is above. We have attic nearby, and we moved one of the j-boxes into the attic where it is accessible, this particular j-boxes is not close to the attic, and the only alternatives would be run a new line from the breaker box, or put an exposed j-box in the ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed lighting fixture preferences [ 1 Answers ]

In regards to recessed lighting fixtures. Looking to see if anyone has had a better experience than others or worse for that matter (quality, installation, fire, etc... ). I'm looking to use some 6" Air tite, IC, 120V for new construction. I've always used Halo brand with no issues but if...

Recessed light awg [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a case of recessed lights that says' max (4) 12 awg through branch circuit conductors. The light circuit that I was planning of connecting to is 14 awg and connect to 20amps breaker. Entire house was wired with 14 awg (lights and plugs) with 20 amps breaker. Is there anyway I can...

Can Light Junction connection limit [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing canlights in the basement and need a clarification on how many wires I can have in the junction box. It states max 8 no. 12 wire 4 in 4 out through branch circuit conductors. I am using no 12 does this mean I can have a total of 8 wires in the box. I am using it to run to a couple...

Wiring new circuits , junction box sizes. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi All, I need some help guidance for a home project. I am installing all new 4 lights and 2 outlets. I have pulled a 12/2 romex (2+ground MAIN ROMEX) from the main panel. I using "star" topology versus "daisy-chaining) as circuits are spread out in different locations. By using star topology one...

Recessed Light and Air Duct [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started a project to install recessed light in my family room. Everything was checked and planned. All holes were cut and align properly... until the last hole. It appear that I have an air duct running right on top it. It's big and it has black plastic wrap enclosure. One of...

View more questions Search