Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tokenhaole Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Ceiling fan / light wiring
    Am trying to rewire up a ceiling fan with light to ceiling box -- of course, like an idiot, I didn't write down how it was wired before, because, hey, how hard could this be, right?

Ceiling box has these wires:

3 blacks, twisted together
    3 white, twisted together
    1 red
    3 copper grounds

The fan has pull chains for the fan and the light, and a wall switch previously turned power on and off for the whole thing, so depending on where you left the pull chains you could make it so the wall switch turned on the light but not the fan, or the reverse, or both.

The fan / light wires were:

1 black and 1 blue, twisted together
    1 white
    1 green ground

I tried what seemed the most logical combination from all the info I can find:

Fan black (which I untwisted from blue) to box black
    Fan blue (the light wire) to box red
    White to white
    Ground to ground

The result was the fan turned on and off with the pull chain, the light wouldn't come on at all, and the wall switch was irrelevant, on or off.

So I twisted the fan blue and black together again and tried:

Fan blue and black to ceiling black
    White to white
    Ground to ground
    Capped red

Now the result was I could turn on both fan and light with pull chains, but, again, the wall switch was irrelevant.

Perplexed, I even tried wiring the fan black and blue to the ceiling red and capping the ceiling black just in case, which of course resulted in no power to anything.

Any thoughts?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Logic prevailing, the red wire would be the switch leg, that is the fans black and blue wire should go to the red wire, the ground to the ground, the white to white, and leave the 3 blacks alone. If that doesn't work, you need to trace out the wiring yourself. It's fairly certain that the whites and the ground need to be attached straightforwardly. You need to determine if the red indeed is the switch leg.
    dwayne23 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 04:37 AM

Well said

Apr 19, 2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks. The plot thickens.

I unraveled and tested each wire, with these results:

One of the three blacks is hot. The red is not. The wall switch makes no difference to this at all, on or off.

Then there's this twist:

Of the other lights on that circuit, only some come back on now when I turn the power back on.

I am mystified at these differences that seemingly should have nothing to do with rewiring a fan that worked this way before.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Hmm... you are on your way. Are you dealing with cable, or are your wires in conduit? It looks like you will have two of thse wires going to your switch... easy enough to test with a continuity tester of some sort. And if you could send a picture, that may be helpful.

Apr 19, 2009, 01:28 PM

Can't currently see from either end whether cable or conduit back there. For the time being went back to wiring blue and black from fan to blacks in box so at least have a light until I can get back to it later. Other lights on the circuit work once blacks reconnected, so that's what the other two blacks are for. That seems to point back to both the blue and black from the fan should go to the red for the switch, but that didn't work. And when I remove the plate from the wall switch, one of the wires attached to the switch is red, so that too would suggest that's how it should go. Can't figure out what might be going on with the switch.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
    What else is wired to the switch?

Apr 19, 2009, 01:49 PM

Nothing else.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Let me ask the question differently... other than the red wire, what other color wire is attached to the switch?

Apr 19, 2009, 02:08 PM

Oh, got it. When this is all done I'll have to print out and save this for laughs.

Anyway, the wall switch is wired to red on one side (the red terminates at the switch) and on the other the black runs through the switch (on black stripped along the way for the switch and then connected to the other black with a nut).
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Well there you have it. Apparently one of the black wires is the one to the switch as well. So, assuming that both those wires go to the ceiling box, the hot black wire would go to the switch, as it would have been with the 3 blacks twisted together. Then the red wire would be hot when the swtich is on. Assuming (again that the switch works)

Cap off the hot black wire in the box. Turn off the electricity to this circuit. Untwist the rest of the black wires in the box. Remove the switch and tug on the wires a bit to see what wires move. If you can't move them, you will need a tester of some type to check the continuity when the switch is on.

BUT... if all the black wires were tied together and the switch was on, and the red wire was not hot, either the switch is bad, or the wires don't go to where you think they do. If you don't have a white wire in the switch box, you probably have conduit. Should be easy enough to figure out what goes where.

Apr 19, 2009, 04:28 PM

Can't move them. But here's how they come into the ceiling box:

1 cable:

The hot black
    One white neutral
    One copper ground

Another cable:

The other two blacks
    Two whites
    Two copper grounds
    The red

So the hot black and the red are coming to the ceiling in different cables.

And, by the way, the white is in the back of the switch box.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 09:25 PM

The way you wired it first should be correct, if you're SURE all the blacks were originally twisted together. Check the switch.

Open the switch and tell us what wires are in the box.

May 18, 2009, 08:31 AM
    After making do with the pull chains for a while, back to trying to get this working again with the wall switch. Again, the goal is that the wall switch turns power on and off to whole fan and light, but with pull chains can turn light and fan on and off separately -- and other lights on circuit not affected by wall switch.

To answer the last response, the wall switch has red on one side and black on the other. I'm pretty sure blacks were all wired together, but as I said, I didn't write it down and that's not working now, so could some other configuration of the blacks be it? Again, one is hot, the other two not.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 09:08 PM

Ok, the one cable with the hot black is your supply. The other cable has your switch loop and another black.

Are there any other wires in the switch box besides the two connected to the switch?

May 25, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Only the red on one side and the black on the other to the switch itself. Behind the switch in the box are two whites connected together.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:38 PM

Ok.. . Do you have a volt meter, and/or ohm meter?

This thread makes my head hurt.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 28, 2009, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tokenhaole View Post
    Only the red on one side and the black on the other to the switch itself. Behind the switch in the box are two whites connected together.
    Are you sure? Not logical. Did you pull the switch out of the box? If there are 2 white wires connected together in the switch box, there should be another black.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 10:38 PM

If it helps, Harold, I'm thinking this dude probably has EMT or the like.

May 29, 2009, 04:01 PM
    "This thread makes my head hurt" -- you and me both! (Or rather, the switch not working does... )

I do have a volt meter.

On Harold's question, again, black comes into box, is stripped for little bit to connect to switch, and continues on to connect to the other black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring ceiling fan light kit [ 9 Answers ]

Hunter fan with a black and a white wire. Harbor Breeze 3 way light switch with a black, blue and red wire. Which one to which? I checked Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More but that didn't help and also did not see it covered on this site---any help?

Wiring a new ceiling light [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an old property and one of the bedroom lights has been disconnected. The wires are still there but I want to connect a new light fitting to this. There is presently two cables coming through the roof each containing a red wire and a black wire, the red wires are taped...

Wiring a ceiling light [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a light in my dining that has the outlet box in the ceiling however I'm confused by the wiring 1 x ground (understood) 2 x black (tied together) 2 x white tied together and one red? How do I hook up the sfixture standard white and black to this configuration?

Ceiling fan/light wiring [ 2 Answers ]

hi, how do I wire ceiling fan/light -?fan has blk,white, blue and grd.=ceiling box has -red ,blk,white and grd.--wall box has 2 wire cable coming in- blk,white and grd.(power)and 3 wire going to fan-red, blk,whiteand grd. My sw-(lutron)fan/light combo-has red,yellow ,blk,green grd, Iam really...

Ceiling fan and light wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Where does each wire go? I have 2 pull chains, 1 for the light and 1 for the fan. The fan is a multi-speed. There are 7 wires coming out of the fan box.

View more questions Search