Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbrown01234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 03:44 AM
    Wiring a new ceiling light
    I have moved into an old property and one of the bedroom lights has been disconnected. The wires are still there but I want to connect a new light fitting to this.

There is presently two cables coming through the roof each containing a red wire and a black wire, the red wires are taped together. There is also two bare twisted wires there.

Can you please tell me how to connect them into a simple ceiling fitting containing one bulb.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 05:02 AM
    The bare is your ground, and will be good to determine which is hot when switch is on, then identify the other black with white tape, this will be your neutral. Leave the reds together and don't touch.
    Then connect white to white, black to black and ground to grounds.
    Turn power off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring ceiling fan light kit [ 9 Answers ]

Hunter fan with a black and a white wire. Harbor Breeze 3 way light switch with a black, blue and red wire. Which one to which? I checked Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More but that didn't help and also did not see it covered on this site---any help?

Wiring a ceiling light [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a light in my dining that has the outlet box in the ceiling however I'm confused by the wiring 1 x ground (understood) 2 x black (tied together) 2 x white tied together and one red? How do I hook up the sfixture standard white and black to this configuration?

Ceiling fan/light wiring [ 2 Answers ]

hi, how do I wire ceiling fan/light -?fan has blk,white, blue and grd.=ceiling box has -red ,blk,white and grd.--wall box has 2 wire cable coming in- blk,white and grd.(power)and 3 wire going to fan-red, blk,whiteand grd. My sw-(lutron)fan/light combo-has red,yellow ,blk,green grd, Iam really...

Ceiling Light Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hey! I just moved into this 1 room apartment, and decided to put a ceiling light , a 2 bulb. Just to fill you in, before that, and (still) , I had accidentally found out that the switch on the wall , was connected to an outlet, so I just got a cheapo lamp and connected there so it could be...

Wiring a Ceiling Fan (w/light) [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and I'm installing ceiling fans. I've installed 4 other ceiling fans with no issues and on my last one I'm scratching my head. For each fan I'm installing a switch with a separate fan and light controller on the wall (side by side sliders). There are 3 wires on...

View more questions Search