Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happynlove Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Braxton Hicks Contractions
    Iam 24 weeks pregnant with a boy!! This is my first pregnancy, so Im a little in the dark on exactly what are braxton hicks contractions. Some days I feel a tight pain in my lower abdomen, it dosen't last long, but I worry about everything. Is this normal?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 09:34 AM

Braxton Hicks actually happen throughout much of pregnancy but aren't usually felt until close till the end. Some women will have them quite often, others hardly at all, and some never notice it.
    If it comes and goes it may either be braxton hicks, or it could be just stretching of the ligaments that support the uterus. There are a number of aches and pains that can show up in pregnancy, most are more of an annoyance than a concern.
    When you feel them, press on your stomach all over. If it is tight and hard all around, likely a contraction... if hard in one area but soft elsewhere, it is likely baby's bottom or back pressing against you.
    Usually too, if they are braxon hicks, they will subside if you get something to drink, go lie down, have something to eat, change your activity.
    If you are very uncomfortable, or they are prolonged, let your doctor or midwife know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Braxton-hicks @ 17wk [ 2 Answers ]

I've done a little research on Braxton-Hicks contractions, but is it possible to get them at 17wks?

Braxton hicks contractions [ 2 Answers ]

OK I'm 8 months pregnant, first baby, and four times in the last few weeks I've had what I can only assume are braxton hicks contractions... but they're extremely painful, and uncomfortable, to the point where I well... cry and try not to move a muscle... they last allllllll day, my back and...

Bracton hicks [ 7 Answers ]

I am 26 weeks and having pain that I believe that it is braxton hicks contractrions I get them about four times a day and they hurt but they are hours apart but I did have my other son at 27 weeks how do I know if they are braxton hicks or something else and should I be having these already I...

Braxton-Hicks Contractions too early? [ 5 Answers ]

Sorry this may be a little long so bare with me! I'm 23 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first. It started a couple weeks ago (21 weeks) with the first little contractions. I thought they were cute and fun. A few days ago they started getting a bit stronger. I would feel him move and then I feel like he...

Are These Contractions! [ 1 Answers ]

Well later that night I noticed when I put my hand on her hip, my cat had tightening of the muscles beginning. It felt alsmost like a vibration, but you could feel kind of a strain. Are these contractions?

View more questions Search