Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwagner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Braxton hicks contractions
    OK I'm 8 months pregnant, first baby, and four times in the last few weeks I've had what I can only assume are braxton hicks contractions... but they're extremely painful, and uncomfortable, to the point where I well... cry and try not to move a muscle... they last allllllll day, my back and abdomin throb... walking definitely doesn't help, sleep and laying down didn't work, they kept me up all night one time... only way to explain it is it was like having period cramps all day at their worst. I sit down at work all day.. I am going to see my doctor in a week.. but I'm impatient.. and really worried. Could I go into labour early.. is it at all normal to have braxton that long, and painful? Could stress have anything to do with it.. should I see my doctor sooner than next week?
    maria06 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Braxton Hicks are said to be uncomfortable but not sore - could be something ele? Urine infecion maybe. If you are in labour you get regular contractions that get stronger and stronger that are like tight period pains. If they ae as bad as this I would see mydoc early!!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 05:09 AM
    Are these pains coming and going, as in lasting about 30-60 seconds at a time and then subsiding for awhile, or is it one continuous pain throughout the entire day? For most women Braxton Hicks are like period cramps that come and go... but sometimes they can be strong enough to cause someone to think they are in actual labor.
    If you get more than 4 or 5 in an hour you would want to let your doctor or midwife know. You may notice more if you aren't taking in enough fluids as your uterus will contract more if you get a bit dehydrated, so be sure you are getting extra to drink (sometimes you have to make a conscience effort to do this!)
    If it is one long pain, give your doctor's office a call and let them direct you. Better to be checked and have it be nothing than to put it off and have it be something they would liked to have addressed sooner. When in doubt, call... that is what they are there for! The peace of mind is worth it... hope you feel better... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bracton hicks [ 7 Answers ]

I am 26 weeks and having pain that I believe that it is braxton hicks contractrions I get them about four times a day and they hurt but they are hours apart but I did have my other son at 27 weeks how do I know if they are braxton hicks or something else and should I be having these already I...

Braxton-Hicks Contractions too early? [ 5 Answers ]

Sorry this may be a little long so bare with me! I'm 23 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first. It started a couple weeks ago (21 weeks) with the first little contractions. I thought they were cute and fun. A few days ago they started getting a bit stronger. I would feel him move and then I feel like he...

Was it contractions at 27w5d? [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday was a pretty normal day for me. I finally picked out a crib, which was quite stressful, but I finally have one ordered. I was fairly inactive and the only complaint was some serious heartburn all day. Well, last night around 8 I started having cramps. They were constant and didn't let up...

Having contractions but only 2 cm [ 1 Answers ]

I went in to preterm labor at 34 weeks they used mag to stop it and now that I have reached 37 weeks my contractions are strong and come 5 or 6 times an hour I have dialated to 2 cm and my doctors says if I get to 3 cm he will do a c-section (baby breech) I want to know how to get this last cm so I...

Are These Contractions! [ 1 Answers ]

Well later that night I noticed when I put my hand on her hip, my cat had tightening of the muscles beginning. It felt alsmost like a vibration, but you could feel kind of a strain. Are these contractions?

View more questions Search