Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeloan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Giving House Back to Bank
    I am getting ready to leave the country for my job for appx. 2 years. I am unable to sell my house and wish to give it back to the bank. My equity is very low. I have the initial mortgage and a home equity loan. I stopped paying on the original mortgage 2 months ago. I still pay on the home equity.

How do you give it back to the bank, what are the ramifications, and should I also stop paying on my home equity?
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Jan 10, 2009, 02:38 AM

Your credit will stink for a long time if you let it go back to the bank. Also, there is the possibility that you will be sued for the difference between what the house sells for at auction and what you owe on it. Also, the IRS may require you to treat any forgiven amount as income and you will be taxed on it. Other than that, can't think of anything wrong with letting the bank have it.

Hmmm, can't think of any reason to pay on the home equity loan if you're planning on dumping the house.

If you want further assistance in perhaps avoiding some of these pitfalls, email me at [email protected]. (yea, I deal with those kinds of things)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 07:14 AM

Well first you can't just give a home back to a bank, you have to ask them first and see if they will take it, and the 2nd mortgage will have to be paid off.

Most likely you will just walk away and let them foreclose on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving your house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:

Giving House back to Bank [ 4 Answers ]

How can I give my house back to the bank. My children are grown and have move away My husband has died and I don't need this house. I have tried to sell with no luck?

Giving house back to bank [ 1 Answers ]

I want to give my house back to the bank. I am over a year late in payments and have moved out and I still have to up keep the property because of court orders. How do I go about giving the deed back to the bank and moving on?

Giving house back to the bank [ 2 Answers ]

I'm interested in giving my rental properties back to the bank because they are selling for less than I owe on them and the mortgages continually increase. I can't rent them for the amount of the increasing mortgage payments. Are there negative tax reprecussions?

Giving my house back to the bank [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a home one year ago that has already depreciated. I am very unhappy with the area and want out of my home. Selling is out of the question. I would like to hand the house back to the bank. I also have two mortgages, one of which is home equity. What happens to that loan? Do I have any other...

View more questions Search