Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikewr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Giving house back to the bank
    I'm interested in giving my rental properties back to the bank because they are selling for less than I owe on them and the mortgages continually increase. I can't rent them for the amount of the increasing mortgage payments. Are there negative tax reprecussions?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Hello mik:

You are facing worse repercussions than that. In fact, I don't think there are ANY negative tax repercussions for losing money.

The repercussions you WILL face is a law suit or a lien on other properties you own, and VERY negative CREDIT repercussions.

You could attempt to arrange a "short sale" with your lenders. That's when you walk away scott free - at least from the lender. And, if this were your primary residence, you wouldn't have any negative tax repercussions. But, these aren't. If your bank DOES let you do a short sale, whatever amount the bank forgives, the government will consider income. So, there WILL be some negative tax consequences for THAT transaction. But, it's much better than than getting sued and blowing your credit.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Why would the bank want them back if you can't sell them for what is owed ? And why is the amount going up, did you have a ARM, why not change them over to a fixed mortgage. And yes you may want to try and do a short sale, or you may end up getting foreclosed on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving your house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:

Giving a house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

We purchased a home in Colorado in 2001 in a community where we own the house but not the land. We have tried and tried to sell the house for the past three years but to no avail. We are not asking a lot for the house, just the pay off price. We have since retired and can no longer make the...

Giving back the home to bank [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best process to give back the home to the lender when we can not qualify for a reduced interest rate . State of Florida Our home initially estamated at 180K now 3 years later due to real estate conditions has valued at 120k and the lender will not refinance. We can no longer make...

Giving my house back to the bank [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a home one year ago that has already depreciated. I am very unhappy with the area and want out of my home. Selling is out of the question. I would like to hand the house back to the bank. I also have two mortgages, one of which is home equity. What happens to that loan? Do I have any other...

Voluntary giving your house back to the bank [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the nature of voluntary repo of a home. Can you let me know what would happen if I can no longer afford my mortgage and opt not to refinance because the mortgage would still be too high since I've had a death in family 5 months ago and I no longer have any assistance with my...

View more questions Search