Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamimo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Giving my house back to the bank
    I bought a home one year ago that has already depreciated. I am very unhappy with the area and want out of my home. Selling is out of the question. I would like to hand the house back to the bank. I also have two mortgages, one of which is home equity. What happens to that loan? Do I have any other options?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Hello m:

You can try a short sale. You can try to rent it. You can try to sell it on a land contract. You can try to rent it with an option to buy.

What happens to the loan?? The bank is going to sue you for the difference in what they sell the house for at auction and what you owe. The home equity lender is going to sue you too.

Is it really the area you don't like, or the fact that your home isn't worth what you paid for it, and your interest rate just bumped up a notch?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Well in one year what has happened..

If you let the house go back you will end up still paying them 1000's of the difference of what it sells for and whatyou owe.
    Barbara Ensign Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Buyers Remorse, everyone goes through it at least once in their lifetime. You are going to have to try to sell it, or get sue as previous poster mentioned. Selling would be your cheapest out. If the bank sells it at auction, highest bidder wins, which could still be 10's of thousands less than you owe on it.
    I don't know how you feel about renting, but that would really help you out. You can most likely rent for what your mortgage payment is plus an additional 25% to cover other costs if you are in a good area for renters. If you decide to rent GET REFERENCES and check them out. You want a great tenant, that will last a long time.
    Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving your house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:

Giving back home to the bank [ 3 Answers ]

How can I give back my to the bank If I cannot make the payments.

Deeding your house back to bank [ 3 Answers ]

Is deeding your house back to the bank the same as a foreclosure?

Voluntary giving your house back to the bank [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the nature of voluntary repo of a home. Can you let me know what would happen if I can no longer afford my mortgage and opt not to refinance because the mortgage would still be too high since I've had a death in family 5 months ago and I no longer have any assistance with my...

Need to Deed a House back to the bank [ 5 Answers ]

I currently own 2 properties and I need to sell one of them. It is a condo in Howell MI. We have tired everything to try and sell the property from paying closing costs to increasing the commission for the agents selling or buying the property. We have run out of ideas and money and now we need to...

View more questions Search