Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    griffinc01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Giving House back to Bank
    How can I give my house back to the bank. My children are grown and have move away
    My husband has died and I don't need this house. I have tried to sell with no luck?
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Do you actually mean"give" in the sense you have no wish to "sell" the house for money.
    If so, then give it to your church... your favorite charity, the Salvation Army; they will quickly dispose of it if its MT.

I can't understand why you say you can't sell it. Any house can be sold---it all comes down to dollars. Try bringing your price down. If the price is a ridiculous one, you will probably get many offers... each trying to outdo another one.
    This is often done by unscrupulous agents in an attempt to jack up the asking price.

In the Toronto market, the asking price of a houe is often with premium offers of 10, 20 30 thousand dollars above.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Not sure about Toronto but in most of the US, houses are selling for 80 to 50 percent of their value from 3 years ago. What happens is people who have a 100,000 dollar mortagage on a home find they can't even sell the home for 80,000. So they are stuck with a home they can not sell, since they can't get what is owed.

But why should they bank take it, If you can't sell it, they can't sell it either. But you can ask if they will take the deed in lieu of foreclosure they may, but not likely.
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Aug 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
    I often see this on newscasts about the drop in real estate values.
    The way I look at it, a person or couple buy a house they think is what they want to live in it and settle on a price they think is fair.
    Putting aside just what value the houe is in dollars, what about what price we put on it for what we wanted it to do in the first place; be a home.

So why not just pay the mortgage as though the house was worth more... but you didn't buy the house for a profit, you bought it for a home, to raise a family, to have a stable roof over your head.

If you don't have the house, then where do you live... at what price. Have rents come down so much that you're willing to forego owning a house and what happens when the housing market regains its former values. Do you then run out and pay the higher amounts when you could just as well pay the mortgage--forget the home's value at this time, and ride out the drop until house prices go up again.

They will, the U.S. economy will spring back. I think though the U.S. government has to put a lid on how much cheap labour from Asia is hurting home-grown workers and put quotas on how much can come into the country.
    A prime example, the auto industry. Pretty soon there will be more foreign cars on American roads than Detroit can put out. What hurst the U.S. hurts Canada---we're your biggest trading partner... and you ours.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Can you give us more details? How onlg have you had it for sale? Where do you live? Where will you live once the house is disposed of? Is there still a mortgage on it, if so, how much equity do you have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving your house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I made a bad investment in a place that is going nowhere. If I give my house back to the bank, will it affect my credit? :eek:

Giving house back to bank [ 1 Answers ]

I want to give my house back to the bank. I am over a year late in payments and have moved out and I still have to up keep the property because of court orders. How do I go about giving the deed back to the bank and moving on?

Giving house back to the bank [ 2 Answers ]

I'm interested in giving my rental properties back to the bank because they are selling for less than I owe on them and the mortgages continually increase. I can't rent them for the amount of the increasing mortgage payments. Are there negative tax reprecussions?

Giving a house back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

We purchased a home in Colorado in 2001 in a community where we own the house but not the land. We have tried and tried to sell the house for the past three years but to no avail. We are not asking a lot for the house, just the pay off price. We have since retired and can no longer make the...

Giving my house back to the bank [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a home one year ago that has already depreciated. I am very unhappy with the area and want out of my home. Selling is out of the question. I would like to hand the house back to the bank. I also have two mortgages, one of which is home equity. What happens to that loan? Do I have any other...

View more questions Search