Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Briggs 11.5 Mower engine no compression
    Hello,
    After 3 hours of continuous use, my Airens riding mower w/ Briggs 11.5hp engine (28D707 model) made a banging noise then quit. Someone other than myself had been running it w/o checking oil. The engine was seized/frozen.

Following suggestions from other helpful posts :) in this forum:

1) I used some PB Blaster on it (next day after it cooled).

I tilted it up to get to the crank shaft pulley nut (b/c the fly wheel is plastic), put a 3/4 socket on it and turned the engine/shaft. As soon as I turned it, I heard a metal ping, like something had fallen out & it began to rotate freely. Nothing fell out on the ground, so it must have been internal (sounded like metal on metal).
    Now it spins quite freely with no compression whatsoever.

2) To check piston movement
    I removed spark plug, inserted screwdriver, and pulled the starter rope.
    For one full pull of the starter rope (~36") the piston pushes the screwdriver twice and moves it 1/4 inch each time.

I'm thinking maybe the piston pin or connecting rod is broken/damaged meaning a complete engine tear down.
    Other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Your rod is broken and it moved on two different strokes just touching the piston enough to make it move.
    samhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Thanks MOWERMAN2468 - you confirmed my fears ;)

Now - what's the best way to remove the engine? I've stripped all external parts (tank, filter, starter, etc). The engine shaft goes through the body and has a large nut with a pulley attached. If I turn the nut, then everything turns.

If I remove the starter clutch and flywheel, will I be able to lock/stop shaft from turning so that I can remove the pulley nut? Are there special tools I'll need?

I'm trying to do this myself as a learning project for my son & I, plus all the small engine shops are backed up for 1-2 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 hp Briggs and Stratton engine won't start -TroyBilt mower [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and it won't start. The battery has been checked. I think it's the starter. Anyone know how to change the starter?

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratten Lawn Mower Engine [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I have a strange problem with this engine. It starts and runs fine most of the time. But, every now and then it starts to smoke, lots of smoke out the muffler. The only way I can get it to stop is turn the engine off. It get into the carburetor through the Positive crankcase ventilator. I...

12.5 briggs and stratton lawn mower engine [ 1 Answers ]

Does the 12.5 briggs and stratton lawn mower have solid state ignition or does it have points under the flywheel? Thanks.

Briggs & Stratton 10 hp lawn mower engine? [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if the flywheel should be in contact with the starter at all times as it appears to be! It has eaten the flywheel gear off! Stupid nylon gear! Is there any after market alloy type replacement? Numbers off engine plate Model 28a707 Type 0113-01 Code 951103za

View more questions Search