Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swimtx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 08:58 PM
    False Sexual Assault Allegations
    My brother was falsely accused by his mother-in-law and brother-in-law of sexually assaulting my 3 year old niece. He was arrested before an investigation ever took place. His wife believes he did it. She was examined and found that she has never been sexual abused. She was coached by the grandmother and uncle. CPS ruled out my nieces statements because she did not have an outcry for help and that she was told to say those things about her daddy. The charges should soon be dropped because the DA does not have a case. What will happen to the people who made this allegations? We live in Texas.
    Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Most likely not a single thing, many people will still believe them and that CPS just could not prove it.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I believe you can sue for false alligations
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starfirefly
    i believe you can sue for false alligations

Well, you can sue anybody for anything (basically) but winning is another matter - you would have to PROVE it was a malicious and unfounded report - completely unfounded and complete malicious. These cases are very, very difficult to prove, particularly if the child stated it was true, then found to have been coached and changed her story (children are really too young to testify). The legal thinking is often that the child will testify on behalf of whoever has her attention at any given moment, not clearly understanding the situation.

If you are thinking of suing the Police or Protection Agency for false arrest it is their duty to act upon a complaint and that probably is just what they did - erred on the side of caution.

I would be more concerned in making sure there is no arrest or other permanent record of this episode, that some day somebody doesn't ask you why you didn't register as a sex offender.

You would be amazed (or maybe not) how often these allegations surface in divorce and/or custody hearings - and there is little you can do. I know this is small comfort to you but the Courts don't want people to be "afraid" to report the possibility of abuse because they might get sued.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
    I'm assuming your brother is filing for divorce. As Judy said, he can try filing for defamation of character and slander. But as she said, its going to be very hard to prove.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I just noticed the original post said the charges SHOULD be dropped ("because the DA doesn't have a case"), not that they ARE dropped. Nothing can be done until the charges are disposed of and at that time I would make sure that any record of this is clear and concise and these charges don't follow your brother around. The DA should be helpful in this regard and I would think your brother has an Attorney - ?

And, as Scott said, I'd be running for Divorce Court and making sure the Court is aware of this episode when it sets up visitation. If your post is 100% correct I question the judgment of the Grandmother and uncle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitation regarding sexual assault [ 2 Answers ]

If I was assaulted in 1977, in Ontario, Canada, and in 1997 approx. the offender was charged/convicted (of a one year conditional sentence) criminally, has my statute of limitations regarding rape run out? In the civil law suit I'm now involved in, one of the defendants (being the Crown Attorney)...

How do you defend against allegations you cheated? [ 9 Answers ]

5 Months ago my Ex did a midnight flite took most of my belongings and my 3 daughters. She accuses me of cheating. She does have BPD and has left me for various other reasons (14 Times). Non where what I would call valid. She has a serious communication problem. She once left me with my girls...

Divorce and pending sexual assault case on husband [ 2 Answers ]

1 yr ago my husband was inappropriate with my 14 yr old daughter, he was arrested and charged with 4th degree sexual assault and risk of injury, we were divorced in may... his criminal case is still pending... he never showed up for any of the divorce proceedings, I was given full custody of our 3...

Child Abuse Allegations [ 3 Answers ]

Long story made short: at this time, I lost custody based on unfounded allegations from my daughter who by the way, is developmentally delayed (low IQ, etc.). I have had custody for 9 yrs. And have a 15 yr old, but really that is not the point. My question is: I am a licensed RN, and am now...

Assault [ 2 Answers ]

A guy at my work that no one likes except two managers threaten me then he shoved me in the face. Now it all started when I got into a confutation with the two managers that like this guy so much. They started the whole situation by aggrivating me, when one of the mangers said if I continue...

View more questions Search