Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahenus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Emotional abuse?
    My father has put me down and insulted me my whole life. He thinks it is funny. Often the insult comes in front of other people and he says it like a joke. Growing up, I didn't realize the affect it had on me. I would call myself a loser, fat, stupid or whatever. Luckily, someone told me how awful it is to say those things about myself. It didn't even occur to me that I was doing it. The minute I stopped, my life changed. I have really come to love myself and I have an amazing husband and beautiful child. Recently, I moved back to the same area as my parents. I tried to have a healthy relationship with my father. I told him how his insults affected me. I asked him to stop. I set my boundaries. I thought he was making progress when he admitted to me that he is passive aggressive and that his father treated him this way. After being back only 3 months, the insults came back and now they included my husband and son. That crossed the line for me. I don't know that I can even have a relationship with him. It is clear he doesn't respect me or my family. I feel very alone because my siblings and my mother act as though it is my fault. They are not supportive at all. I feel depressed and as though the wind has been let out of my sail. How do I get it back? How do I have a relationship with my family and not my father? Can I STOP his behavior? I know you can't change people but I can't have a relationship with him unless he changes his behavior. With Thankgiving approaching, my whole family will be at my father's house, and I will be not. I'm devastated that I made this huge move and am still left out.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Your Father was a victim and now is the victimizer. A familiar pattern. Your Mother enables him to act that way by not challenging him to be more appropriate. Perhaps he intimidates her. You cannot fix that situation. What you can do, is what you have done, tell him how you feel and how his words have affected you and your family. You do not have to keep in contact with him and you can tell him and your Mother and siblings why.

Time to make your own traditions with your husband and family. Thanksgiving can be special for you. You can be as creative as you want in making that day meaningful for your family. Same with Christmas and birthdays and any other occasion. You can invite your parents - WITH the expressed condition that you will not tolerate any verbal/emotional abuse from your Father - whether he directs it at you or your husband or your children. The minute he would start in, he HAS to leave. No exceptions. Zero tolerance. This is where you take control and keep your boundaries.

Wishing you the very best. It would not hurt if you sought some counseling for all that is bottled up inside you. It would reaffirm that making healthy choices for yourself and your family is your priority. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this Emotional Abuse? [ 6 Answers ]

I am writing as a deeply concerned sister. My brother left his overbearing, controlling, self-centered wife about 6 months ago. It took a lot of courage for him to leave. He is a good father and loves their children more than anything in this world. He took them to school everyday and got them...

Emotional abuse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi This is my first time on this site. I'll try to be as brief as possible about my problem. I've had a lot of problems of late and found out my ex of many years has been emotionally abusing me. I didn't realise and have ben told this by counsellors after describing the relationship. I've now...

Emotional abuse? [ 5 Answers ]

First of all, I want ot say that I come from an European country where divorce rates are pretty low compared to the states. I have been taught that marriage is important and you should not leave for the minimum problem. Raised in such a culture I have grown thinking that once married I would only...

Why is there not a law about emotional abuse? [ 16 Answers ]

Why do people take emotional abuse so lightly? Thank you for your concern and advice, I thank God mostly because without him I would not seek help, and for the times no one was there. I am in the process of recovery. I had gone to a hospital for crisis advice three times in this relationship....

Emotional abuse [ 5 Answers ]

Can emotional abuse as a child and teenager cause long term damage to your life as an adult? And can it affect your relationships or mental health, like cause a break down or something?

View more questions Search