Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irene19 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Past abuse issues have lead to sexual problems
    Hello,

I am looking for some advice and it seems many of you have had experienced abuse of some kind in the past. I have been physically, emotionally and sexually abused for many years and now as a more mature adult (30) I am finding that many of these experiences have made me really look at my "defects" and where they stem from. I am very insecure, have trust issues, low self esteem and I have a lot of sexual problems such as basing love on sex... I am going to counseling and working on me and growing as a person. However, I am in a relationship which is great except these "defects" of course carry over. I have talked with my boyfriend and he is very supportive. My problem is with sex. He does not have a high sex drive, which is opposite of me, however, this is one area in our relationship that causes problems. If he doesn't feel like it, rather than just accepting that I get very emotional and think I am not good enough - it's hard to be rejected sexually. Anyway, this week him and I had a talk about sex and he expressed to me that he loves to have it with me, it's just that I use sex as a way to feel loved or raise my self-esteem. He also said that he doesn't want our relationship based on that (been together over a year) and that he wants me to understand what love is outside of sex. He also said that a lot of the times I pressure him into having sex and that it's hard for him to want to when he feels pressured. As a result he wants to take a "sex break" so I can realize this and I think so he can feel less pressured.

I agree with him, and to be honest I think this is really open minded and therapeutic. However, the this break is killing me. Not only on my whole level of rejection, which I'm dealing with better and this is helping, but because well I just want sex! I can't ask him and I don't want to bring it up as this has just happened this week. I haven't had sex for this week and I don't know how long this break of his is going to last. Can someone just help me think clearly or feel better about this? I know it's a good thing but it's really hard on an emotional level.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:06 PM

The sex break is needed however you can have intimacy without actually having sex. Cuddling, kissing, holding hands, etc are some other ways of showing affection.

You have a good man that wants to be by your side and loves you for you. This kind of man is hard to find and I am glad you have him.

Continue on with your path on healing the wounds from your past and sorry you went through what you did. Stay strong and embrace the sex break because in the end this will only strengthen your already strong relationship.

Best of luck and you can always come on here to vent sexual frustrations out.
    irene19 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 01:16 PM

Well The boyfriend and I do not have the best relationship. I actually moved out today and we broke up. I am very scared. I moved from Michigan to Georgia to be with this guy, got divorced and now I don't know what to do. I look at this as a good thing because I need to grow and learn who I am and heal a lot of wounds. He brought me down more than up - however I am feeling terrible right now - I have really nothing here, have to find a better job, no car. He blames it all on me and said I've done nothing in this relationship - he's always blamed me for everything but this just hurts. I feel like a failure in relationshis, but I have to learn to fulfull myself without a man in my life. I have to learn who I am. I have to for once just be alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sexual abuse in nj [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 29 yr old young lady who was raped and molested by a family member at the ages of 6-9 yrs of age. I would like to know how I can pursue or if I can pursue charges against this demon. As I get older it tears me apart that this man has gotten away with what he has done. Are there statue of...

Pain releif in first sexual abuse [ 1 Answers ]

Any medicine for the releif of pain occurring in first sexual abuse?does that pain continue for 1 week after the first attempt?

Allegations of sexual abuse [ 23 Answers ]

I have been accused of abuse and stand to loose my children. The girl recanted her story now several times. We are getting ready to go to court. They say they "just" believe her statements she made to start with. I have a court appointed lawyer and no money to hire some high powered one. I need...

Sexual Abuse [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to figure out if I was sexually abused as a child. I read that Freud believed repressed memories could lead to personality disorders and suicide, and I am worried. My mother asked me and my sister when we were in our early twenties if we could remember being sexually abused as...

Sexual abuse [ 16 Answers ]

I have a friend who recently told me that she is being sexually abused at home. She said her dad has been sexually abusing her since she was a little kid. She won't let me go to the cops about it, and she says if I do she will deny it on the stand if it goes to court. I don't know what to do. She...

View more questions Search