Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
    Purina puppy chow isn't great. I'm not a dog food snob, and don't expect people to get the best of the best. I know it can be expensive, and there are good off the shelf foods out there, but purina puppy chow really isn't one of them. It's mostly filler, which may be part of the problem.

Beneful is actually not a bad brand for off the shelf puppy food. It's not that expensive, and it's not as much filler as purina. If you're going to switch make sure to do it in stages. You'll start with 1/4 new food, 3/4 old. Feed that combo for a few days. If she doesn't react badly, go to 1/2 new, 1/2 old for a few days. Then 3/4 new, 1/4 old. Then finally all new.

A good food will make her potty less. My puppy gets three feedings a day, and poos three times a day, shortly after each feeding. Your vet should be able to tell you how much to feed her. It's more about quantity, not the amount of times a day that you're feeding her. At her age she could switch to two feedings a day, but that doesn't mean less food, just more food at each feeding. Some people prefer to give smaller meals, and feed more often. I don't, mainly for potty training, unless it's a young puppy. Then I agree with 3 feedings a day. Now I'm rambling. ;)

She should be on puppy food for the first 2 years of her life. So don't switch to adult food just yet. I really would talk to her vet about how many grams of food she should be getting each day for her breed and weight.

You never did answer my test question. Do you have an answer? :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Jennie, what happened since March to cause her to stop defecating outside?

Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    She is a Pomeranian poodle mix (pomapoo) and so sweet and social and she really is a good girl.

but potty training. OMG. she still isnt there. we have had her since December, at first we tried the old fashioned way that everyone told me was the way to go (put nose in mess and take outside)

for the last 3 months we have been doing the crate training. i have used positive rewards, it does no good, i have tried punishments for accidents, no good.

i dont know what else to do with this baby. she will poop outside. but its like she has an aversion to pee outside. she refuses. and she pees by, on, under her bed, which ive never seen before.

she gets ashamed, and even sits on her messes to hide them. but she still wont stop.

i asked her vet a few months ago, and she told me that it was fine, and to just keep at it. but when should i worry about a medical problem? im really worried that something else other than just stubborn pup is going on here.
    When was the last time a vet checked her out? Please give a date and not a general 'a few months ago'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy afraid of going potty [ 3 Answers ]

We recently got a 14wk old chocolate lab, we have only had him for almost a week. Up until Sunday night he has been amazing at going outside and going potty, but ever since the neighbors did fireworks he goes outside but just sits on the front step no matter what I try he will not go into the grass...

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

Puppy Potty [ 4 Answers ]

I’ve adopted a puppy and she was great. 12 weeks old, obedient, sit, stay, potty outside, everything was great. Now we are about 16 weeks old and peeing in her crate, peeing in the kitchen, on her blanket, on people. I took her outside to potty she went and came into the house to pee on a...

Potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend has a 3 month old chiwawa and I was wondering if that's too early for the dog to be potty trained. The dog goes to the bathroom everywhere, on the bed, in the dogs own bed, on clothes left on the floor, in the kitchen. Both #1 and #2. is this normal? Its really annoying to say the...

Puppy won't potty without me [ 6 Answers ]

My puppy is almost 6 months old. When we first got her, our backyard was only 3/4 fenced in, so we took her out on a leash to do her business. A week ago, we finally got the fence finished. We had these grand visions of her exploring the large backyard and playing for long periods, while we could...

View more questions Search