Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treyball3 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Jul 18, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Puppy won't potty without me
    My puppy is almost 6 months old. When we first got her, our backyard was only 3/4 fenced in, so we took her out on a leash to do her business. A week ago, we finally got the fence finished. We had these grand visions of her exploring the large backyard and playing for long periods, while we could accomplish stuff indoors, and wouldn't have to crate her. Well, when we put her outside, she just sits by the door and barks. I've tried just sitting where she can't see and hoping she would just give up and go do her thing. But, she just keeps barking. So, I go outside, and as soon as I come out, she goes potty. I'm guessing she's just used to us being out with her, but how do we break her of this "neediness"?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Hummmmm, check the sticky on housebreaking and you won't find any help there on this. It is all about the importance of being out there and praising him. Try taking her out and then walking away from her.. She may slowly accept you being further and further away. If she really needs to go, she may not be able to hold it and follow you. If she stops to relieve herself, praise her. If she insists on being on a leash, use a long leash and walk away from her.

Early socialization is very important. I haven't had a problem with puppies not making the transition which I do as soon as I figure the puppy is too big to be snatched by a hawk. I haven't heard of others in my group having trouble either. The dog guide school does expect the dogs to relieve themselves on or off leash and on grass, gravel, and pavement. The manual doesn't say what to do if they insist on being on leash. I have had puppies that didn't like to be outside by themselves. Nugget was a strange little Lab. He was as quick to bolt out an open door as any dog. However, if he saw you coming with a leash, he would run up to you. Why run by yourself when somebody will walk with you? He was the second puppy we raised for the dog guide school and a real challenge for as low as we were on the learning curve back then. You learn from experience. Maybe that would have been a better name than Nugget. Life would have been easier if he would have spent more time outside like many of our puppies. At times I would tether him where he could see me working in the yard. He would bark until I took him in and put him in the crate. Some of our other puppies were the same way. I know what you are talking about, even if I don't have a whole lot of help.

Try playing with her outside. Throwing a ball might be a way to get her away from you before she relieves himself. Try planting treats around the yard. Now that you have the fence, invite playmates for her.

Jul 18, 2007, 11:54 AM
    We have a fairly large backyard, about 100 feet deep, she has no problem being at one end of the yard while my wife or I are at the other end, as long as she can see that we're out there with her. If we go around a corner, she gets all upset. I think she has clinging issues or something ;) well, I guess I'll try the hiding treats in the yard thing... other than that I don't know what else to do other than just let her bark until she's tired of it. Hmm
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
    My rule has always been the dog gets let in at the first bark.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by treyball3
    We have a fairly large backyard, about 100 feet deep, she has no problem being at one end of the yard while my wife or I are at the other end, as long as she can see that we're out there with her. If we go around a corner, she gets all upset. I think she has clinging issues or something ;) well, I guess I'll try the hiding treats in the yard thing... other than that I don't know what else to do other than just let her bark til she's tired of it. hmm
    I had the same trouble my first dog. At first I took him out on a lease, for close to 2 years and when we got a house with a fenced yard he still wanted me to be with him. This went on for maybe a month and I continued to go out with him , but I'd go off to a different part of the yard. After a couple of weeks of this, I would wander toward the house and leave him out there. I would go stand at the door so he could see me. After about a week I would just go in and leave the door open so he could come in at will. This probably took a couple of months for him to get used to and after awhile I could open the door and out he would go. When he wanted back in he would bark. Hope this helps

Jul 19, 2007, 06:22 AM
    That's actually what I started doing last night. :) I let her out and then I stood inside the sliding glass door so she could see me. She went and did her business and even snooped around a little bit. Looks like this is the way to go after hearing that it worked for you too.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Trey, since she is young it should not take as long, as it did with my dog. Just make sure that you follow labmans suggestion about 1 bark at the door and then let her back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy potty training confusion [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old male Scottish Terrier; I live in an upstairs flat and am not finding a place or method for potty training that is working. I am having him go in either the bathroom or outside depending on the weather (it is cold and we have snow) and time of day and I am concerned that this is...

Potty training puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old boxer puppy and I have had her for about 6 weeks. We have tried everything to potty train her but it doesn't seem to work. At first, she had worms and we were treating her for that, so we expected some extra messes. A friend that is a dog trainer told us try the crate...

Where do you start potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will be a first time owner of a puppy, Yorkie. I have done some research on this breed, so I am familiar with it. But, I have never owned a puppy, and I have read so many ways of housetraining. Where do I start? Advice needed. THANKS

Potty trained puppy pooping in crate! [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a new 12 week old puppy for a week now... I know that training takes time, but he is pooping in the crate when I am at work is driving me nuts! He doesn't just go- he has to make a spectacle of it- smearing it and grinding it into everything he can reach... I have found it flung onto the...

Potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 month old male miniature miniature and I can't seem to potty train him, every time I put him outside after he eats or drinks, he won't go and then goes in the house when I let him in. any suggestions?

View more questions Search