Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akarau Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 09:34 AM
    Puppy afraid of going potty
    We recently got a 14wk old chocolate lab, we have only had him for almost a week. Up until Sunday night he has been amazing at going outside and going potty, but ever since the neighbors did fireworks he goes outside but just sits on the front step no matter what I try he will not go into the grass and go potty. I have tried to move him to the grass but he tucks his tail and runs... does anyone have any advice?/
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 10:39 AM

He wlll gradually forget about the noise from the fireworks display. Take him for a short walk to do his business until he adjusts again.

Tick
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 5, 2011, 10:12 PM
    Is a back yard available as an alternative?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 12:26 PM

What I would do is try and make the yard a happy place for him again. So when you are trying to coax him out and he refuses, grab a handful of kibble and lure him out with treats, when he gets out into the yard, praise like mad and offer a small treat. When you give him a special treat, like a bone or a new toy, try and give it to him in the yard. Let him know that there is nothing to be afraid of. He may forget about the fireworks on his own, but I have had dogs who have had a traumatic experience with certain items, never to go back to them again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy is afraid to go for walks [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! I have a 3 month old rotti who is great in doors.He is well behaved and a joy to play with but,when we get outside and head towards the street,he stops dead in his tracks and won't move.I have tried treats and telling him lets go.Petting him to let him know its o.k.I am stumped! I...

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

My potty trained 3yrs old is afraid to let go again [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My 3 year old daughter is almost on the mastery of potty training(poop and pee).. She always get's in to the bathroom to poop and pee by herself but after experiencing a series of constipation last May, she's started to get scared of moving her bowel,she is trying to hold it.. instead of...

Puppy won't potty without me [ 6 Answers ]

My puppy is almost 6 months old. When we first got her, our backyard was only 3/4 fenced in, so we took her out on a leash to do her business. A week ago, we finally got the fence finished. We had these grand visions of her exploring the large backyard and playing for long periods, while we could...

Puppy is afraid to go down stairs [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy who is having no problem going up the stairs, but refuses to even attempt to descend them. I tried encouraging him with praise and food. :D Granted he is only 8 weeks old and the stairs are a little steep and are uncarpeted. Do you think I need to carpet the stairs to make...

View more questions Search