Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHScott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2014, 04:51 PM
    Medically necessary Benedryl use - accidentally taken 3x dose - do I need medical tx?
    Prescribe Benadryl 200mg 3 times per day for long term effects of Stevens Johnson Syndrome. Been taking this dose for 7 months. By complete accident I took 600mg.
    Not recreational use.
    I took morning dose fine. I took lunch dose and did not get my normal relief. I then thought I had not taken my lunch dose, so I took the lunch dose again.
    After that dose I had an in-office procedure for which I had an IV. I left the office and went home and took my normal meds. By this time I had started shaking, feeling unwell & I feel 'drugged' and not myself. The Doctor's office called- I had been given a dose of Benadryl to alleviate any issues with the radiology contrast.

I do not feel well but...
    No heart palpitations
    No difficulty breathing.
    Somewhat confused - not delirious.
    I'm very shaky.

Would this dose (with my tolerance level) sort itself out or should I head to the ER?
    AntC Posts: 184, Reputation: 19
    -

Aug 13, 2014, 06:20 PM
    You need to call Poison Control 800-222-1222. They will tell you what to do.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 06:13 AM
    AntC, we can't assume that he resides in a particular country.

The poison control office will be in your phone book or online. It would be good to call. That is beyond the recommened natural dose and is a cause for concern, but I don't think it is life threatening. Talking to the poison control will let you know what steps you need to take, which might be to go to the ER if you haven't already, than you can follow up with your doctor. It might be also wise to invest in a daily/weekly pill box. You count out and separate the pills for each day, and at each time, before hand. This often prevents mix ups like this. Also need to know what they're giving you when you go in for your treatments.
    AntC Posts: 184, Reputation: 19
    -

Aug 14, 2014, 06:45 AM
    You are correct, Craven. I had assumed the OP was in the US because they used the name brand Benadryl and not the generic name
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 14, 2014, 06:59 AM
    That's completely fair.

I use benedryl in Canada, I have bought it in England and china too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can your boss ask you what is medically wrong with you? [ 3 Answers ]

I went of a medical LOA and my supervisor wanted to know what my medical problem was. Can she ask that question according to HIPAA? Do I have to answer her? She also wanted a list of all my medications while I was working do I have to give that to her?

Bone disease that is said to be child abuse rather than medically related [ 23 Answers ]

How rare is osteogenesis imperfectia? {Mod Note: Please read whole thread to understand why this is a legal issue}

I know my date of conception but not medically how far along I am. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you could help me. I know I definitely conceived on the 16th June 2009 and so am wondering, in medical terms, how many weeks I am. Help would be much appreciated :)

Benedryl for dogs [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, This weekend my 10lb mini doxie was stung by a bee. He was fine and had no reaction Other than pain and a small lump where he was stung. We were able to get the stinger out even. My friend told me that now that he has been stung once we need to be more careful because he has a better...

View more questions Search