Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swordzie38 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Bone disease that is said to be child abuse rather than medically related
    How rare is osteogenesis imperfectia?

{Mod Note: Please read whole thread to understand why this is a legal issue}
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2011, 05:31 PM

It's a genetic disorder. It is not related to anything else, including abuse. Who is saying that it is?

Jun 16, 2011, 05:35 PM
    My 5 week old baby girl has multiple broken bones. Rare bone disease?
    Is it common for newborns with multiple unexplained broken bones who may have a rare disease be taken away because it is said to be child abuse? My baby girl has no brusing or any trama or internal damage, just broken bones, and many symptoms of the disease OI. :confused:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 05:35 PM

According to the oif.org web site --

Definition
    Osteogenesis imperfecta (OI) is a genetic disorder characterized by bones that break easily, often from little or no apparent cause. A classification system of different types of OI is commonly used to help describe how severely a person with OI is affected. For example, a person may have just a few or as many as several hundred fractures in a lifetime.

Prevalence
    While the number of people affected with OI in the United States is unknown, the best estimate suggests a minimum of 20,000 and possibly as many as 50,000.

The current U.S. population is 311,569,684.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 05:38 PM

Has there been physical abuse? Has there been an attempt to diagnose OI?

It is often, though not always, possible to diagnose OI based solely on clinical features. Clinical geneticists can also perform biochemical (collagen) or molecular (DNA) tests that can help confirm a diagnosis of OI in some situations. These tests generally require several weeks before results are known. Both the collagen biopsy test and DNA test are thought to detect almost 90% of all type I collagen mutations.

Jun 16, 2011, 05:41 PM

No abuse at all :( we don't know what is wrong with her

Jun 16, 2011, 05:42 PM

Because we have no explination of the broken bones she was taken off us and I don't know why because she may be sick :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swordzie38 View Post
    no abuse at all :( we dont know what is wrong with her
    Have tests been done? Are you waiting on results?

What did CPS say?

Jun 16, 2011, 05:44 PM

They took blood and had it sent out but have yet to hear anything
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 05:47 PM

I guess you'll have to wait for the test results.

CPS is only doing what they have to. Sadly they can't take your word for it. They have to find out what's going on, for your child's well being.

Every parent that's investigated by CPS says that there's no abuse. They can't just accept that and walk away. If they did then countless children would stay with their abusers.

Let the system do what needs to be done. Keep looking for answers, and keep proclaiming your innocence. Make sure the doctors know that these broken bones can't be explained by abuse, that there's something else going on. Talk to anyone that will listen.

Hopefully your baby will be back with you soon.

Good luck.

Jun 16, 2011, 06:09 PM

Right now I have no clue where my baby is, I'm not allowed to know
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
    right now i have no clue where my baby is, im not allowed to know
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this.

I wish we could give you advice on how to get your baby back now, and I can't even imagine how you feel. Just let the system do what it's meant to do. Keep telling them you're innocent, and keep pushing for tests to find out what's wrong. Don't let up on them. Get your baby back, fight! That's really all you can do.

I hope that she's back with you soon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 06:22 PM

And of course at the new location, the child will continue to have the injury, which is not medical proof, but it is a relationship.

Jun 16, 2011, 06:26 PM

She needs to be in my arms not with a stranger :(
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 06:30 PM
    she needs to be in my arms not with a stranger :(
    I completely understand. Sadly that's not going to happen until CPS figures out what's going on.

Like I said, the can't take your word for it. Try to put yourself in their shoes. If they believed every parent that swore they didn't abuse their child, even though the child has broken bones, then most kids would end up living with abuse.

They have to do their homework. They have to figure out what's going on before they can give her back to you.

All you can do is fight, keep telling them the truth, demand testing, and wait. That's the only option you have.

Jun 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
    Accused of abuse, baby may have a rare disease?
    Can there be a civil case if my baby was taken off me because the state thought that I was abusing her, but in reality she has a rare bone disease?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2011, 06:32 PM
    she needs to be in my arms not with a stranger :(
    I'm hoping whoever is caring for her is being super watchful of her and careful with her.

Since OI is usually genetic, do you know of anything like this in either parent's family?

Once the results come back and the doctors figure out what she has, she will be back in your arms. Are you gearing up for what's ahead of you with her brittle bone problem?

Jun 16, 2011, 06:34 PM

I know they are only doing their job, but even when she was kept in the hospital on close watch for days at a time, and heard the dr say she is sick they continue with their case :( its going to take time but if she has this disease, it may kill her and they are taking that time away that I need to be with her
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2011, 06:37 PM

Hello s:

If you can show that they acted negligently... But, if they didn't know about her illness, and it appears NONE of you knew that, then they're not responsible.

If he was abused while in their custody, that's another matter.

excon

Jun 16, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm hoping whoever is caring for her is being super watchful of her and careful with her.

Since OI is usually genetic, do you know of anything like this in either parent's family?

Once the results come back and the doctors figure out what she has, she will be back in your arms. Are you gearing up for what's ahead of you with her brittle bone problem?
    I know what the disease is, but I am not sure how to care for it or anything hands on yet. All I know is that defness runs in the family along with minor bone problems. All of this is on my mothers side of the family which I know nothing about :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clarification whether is it bone spur or bone tumor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello doctor, my mother(45+ years) has bone spur(tissue like projection) in the foot from the foot x-ray and scan taken. now I have a doubt that whether is it a bone tumor or bone spur. because sometimes she has fever, chills and little night sweat, vomiting and tenderness, swelling.

Does anyone know if Lyme Disease is related to my dog not having the ability to bark [ 20 Answers ]

About 2 months ago my dog woke up and tried to bark. An odd noise came out and since then he has not been able to bark. A week ago he was diagnosed with Lyme disease and had a number of symptoms. Can this losing his bark have anything to do with the Lyme?

I know my date of conception but not medically how far along I am. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you could help me. I know I definitely conceived on the 16th June 2009 and so am wondering, in medical terms, how many weeks I am. Help would be much appreciated :)

Child on child sexual abuse [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Today I found out that my 13 year old grand daughter touched another 13 year old boys penis. He is so tramatized by the ordeal and his mother is just sick. I'm am at a wits end as to how to handle the situation. Legally what should be done about this. The boys mom wants my grand...

Celiac Disease Related [ 7 Answers ]

My youngest son was positively diagnosed with Celiac Disease six months ago. He had an ED done then and blood tests. The blood tests came back negative but the biiopsies clearly showed evidence of the disease and so began the treatment. My question is has anyone heard of complications with...

View more questions Search