Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grambo2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
    Can your boss ask you what is medically wrong with you?
    I went of a medical LOA and my supervisor wanted to know what my medical problem was. Can she ask that question according to HIPAA? Do I have to answer her? She also wanted a list of all my medications while I was working do I have to give that to her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 02:37 PM
    There is no violation at all in them asking. If this was a company question, it is perfectly right not to grant or allow a medical LOA without specific information for the need and reasons.

Also most companies have a policy about being notified of prescription drugs, esp those that may have an effect on your work.

And no it is not a violation , not even close, since to be in violation, they will have to know this information and give it out to someone that is not suppose to know it.

If you do not wish your supervisor to know it, you may go directly to HR and ask to verify company policy on notification
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
    Yes she can ask. HIPAA applies to health care providers, health plans, and health plan clearing houses. She can ask you for this information, but she can not ask your doctor, pharmacist, or insurance carrier for it without your permission.
    grambo2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Ok thanks for the information. I couldn't find the answers anywhere. I apppreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bone disease that is said to be child abuse rather than medically related [ 23 Answers ]

How rare is osteogenesis imperfectia? {Mod Note: Please read whole thread to understand why this is a legal issue}

I know my date of conception but not medically how far along I am. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you could help me. I know I definitely conceived on the 16th June 2009 and so am wondering, in medical terms, how many weeks I am. Help would be much appreciated :)

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search