Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freidasmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Concrete shower pan?
    My husband and I are having our bathroom remodeled. A shower pan was poured yesterday and it looks nice so far. Everything looks very professional thus far. All plumbing, hardi-board, installation etc. We have chosen and purchased the stone. However, there is one question. The remodeler said he was leaving the wooden forms that he used in pouring the concrete, and my husband says that the concrete may possibly crack if the forms are left on and we may have to correct a costly mistake. The remodeler says that the forms will enable the glass company to attach the doors of the shower through the stone and into the wooden form. Is this a correct method?
    gbooy777 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
    First of all. Did they hot mop? What method did they use for a water membrane. Green board or hardi backer are not water proofing materials.

Secondly, if they hop mopped, then put concrete in (Called dry pac because of it's density-not very-to allow moisture to run through it) they will have a dam. This dam should be at least 5" high 3" on the inside and have hot mopping over the top. Careful. The glass company should not use the dam to screw into. This can allow moisture into the dam causing it to rot out in the long run.

Bathrooms are my business I should know. I was a tile/stone contractor for 10 year before becoming a General Contractor. Www.ochauswerks.com

Also, make sure they plug the drain and do a water test for at least 24 hours to prove the pan is water tight. Otherwise you will have to tear it out and redo it all later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower pan on concrete floor [ 4 Answers ]

I'd like to install a cast iron shower pan in my basement. Do you think I can set the pan right on the concrete floor, or do I need to place a sheet of plywood underlayment underneath?

Concrete under Shower Pan after it's installed? [ 19 Answers ]

Looking to reinforce my fiberglass shower by putting a hole in the wall on the side and shoving concrete or somethng else under there. Any suggestions? Not cracked yet, but it' "giving." also- toilet squeaks when we sit on it, and it seems to be coming from the conical crome part that sits flush...

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

Concrete Shower Pan Removal - How To? [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing the shower in an older bathroon and need to remove the shower pan. It appears to be made of concrete. I don't have good access to the under side of the pan so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to remove the drain. Any suggestions other than beating the pan to pieces? Any...

Pouring a concrete shower pan [ 3 Answers ]

I've at the stage in a master bath remodel that I need to make a new shower pan. I plan on using a concrete base with tile, however is there anything "special" about the concrete mix I should know other than using sand? Also is there any other way of sealing the concrete other than a liner that...

View more questions Search