Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PSchonaerts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Concrete Shower Pan Removal - How To?
    I am replacing the shower in an older bathroon and need to remove the shower pan. It appears to be made of concrete. I don't have good access to the under side of the pan so I'm having a hard time figuring out how to remove the drain. Any suggestions other than beating the pan to pieces? Any help would really be appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
    If this is anything but a slab installation the base under the tiles is mortar over a shower pan. The drain will be a flange type shower drain, (see image) that will have to be unbolted after you remove the tile and mortar. The tile and mortar will have to be remove with a large hammer. May I ask why you're removing the entire base and not just the tiles. Do you have leaks or is this strictly cosmetic? Regards, Tom

Oct 8, 2007, 06:27 AM
    It's mostly cosmetic... the original installation was done in the 70's and the shower pan was white with colored specks in it... the white isn't white anymore and the specks don't meet the expectations of the designer (i.e. wife). I'm at work now I'll include a picture from home... Thanks for the help...

Oct 8, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Actually after re-reading your response... there isn't any tile here... just a beautiful off-white-ish shower pan.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2007, 06:42 AM
    The way it works on a first or second floor installation,(you still haven't let me know the location) is a plastic shower pan goes down first, then the mortar bed and lastly the tile.
    Actually after re-reading your response... there isn't any tile here... just a beautiful off-white-ish shower pan.
    Are you saying the shower base is made of poured cemnent? Now I got to know the showers location. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring a concrete shower pan [ 3 Answers ]

I've at the stage in a master bath remodel that I need to make a new shower pan. I plan on using a concrete base with tile, however is there anything "special" about the concrete mix I should know other than using sand? Also is there any other way of sealing the concrete other than a liner that...

Installing custom sized shower pan on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing an existing fiberglass shower unit to replace it with a larger, custom-built ceramic tile shower. The subfloor is a post-tension concrete slab. I will not be able to move the drain, so it won't be centered in the new shower floor. I'm Ok with having an off-center drain. But, all...

Shower Pan Removal [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing a shower to install a tile shower and have run into a problem. I am trying to remove the existing shower pan and have everything loose except it seems to be caught on the flange. Are these flanges screwed together? It is loose all theway around and is only hung up right at the...

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Fiberglass shower pan removal [ 2 Answers ]

Help! It is ready to come out. Do I have to remove drain first. How do I remove pan? Pry it out or does it need to be cut with circular saw first? It is on upper floor of tri level not acessible from underneath. Thanks.

View more questions Search