Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpccsimmons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Cast iron shower pan on concrete floor
    I'd like to install a cast iron shower pan in my basement. Do you think I can set the pan right on the concrete floor, or do I need to place a sheet of plywood underlayment underneath?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 4, 2011, 08:17 PM
    You can put it directly on the floor. The pan should have small "legs" or "ribs" + the curb apron that will hold in in place and give it proper slope. However, even when it is Cast Iron pan, we still set it in light weight concrete. This takes care of potential unevenness of the floor. Hope that helps. Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 5, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Yup... as suggested above, set the cast iron base in structolite or lightweight concrete and set/level the base on the concrete floor... best overall job this way, for sure!

Good luck!

Mark
    jpccsimmons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 05:54 PM
    Thank you both for your replies. Just so I understand; you would recommend a thin layer of concrete on the cement floor throughout the area under the pan so that the "legs" settle in the concrete and limit any lateral movement.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 6, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Bed the entire "footprint" of the pan... not just the legs.

Here, let's say that you have 2" between the bottom of the pan and the floor...you'll want to put say 3 1/2" of structolite in the footprint of the base and then set/squeeze the pan down to the floor as you level the base from front to back and from side to side until you have the base perfectly level in all planes (secure properly while the bedding substrate hardens overnight). This is particularly important if you are installing shower doors... ;)

That make sense?

PS: Don't forget to take the pitch of the pan into consideration when distributing the structolite (or similar).. if 2" at the outside may be 1"at the center... pitch structolite accordingly, OK?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Should Kohler Cast Iron Shower Pan Flex? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just installed a 3x5 cast iron Kohler shower pan (K-9055) on top of level half-inch cement board. After finishing the drain installation, we realized that the pan moves very slightly (less than 1/8 of an inch) when someone steps on the corners against the back shower wall. Kohler...

Mounting toilet to concrete floor with cast iron soil pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom, removed toilet saw wax ring removed wax ring saw cast iron pipe in floor raised up about a quarter inch above floor two rusted bolts that were screwed into cement floor to hold toilet down. I should mention that I have now removed the tile on the floor.The toilet had...

Stumped on hooking up shower pan to 4" cast-iron-in-concrete floor drain? [ 7 Answers ]

I ripped out the shower pan because water got under it and rotted some shims. This happened because the shower's 2" drain fitting was just loosely dumping the water into the 4" drain. I need to hook a shower pan to what looks like just a 4" cast iron floor drain. There is no flange or bell. I...

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

View more questions Search