Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pantheraz5150 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Pouring a concrete shower pan
    I've at the stage in a master bath remodel that I need to make a new shower pan. I plan on using a concrete base with tile, however is there anything "special" about the concrete mix I should know other than using sand?
    Also is there any other way of sealing the concrete other than a liner that is available? I have seen a polymer sealant that is used to seal concrete floors from water but I am not sure it would be suitable.
    Any help with the concrete mix and sealing would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Take a look at this website: Shower Systems - Schluter-Systems
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Schluter detra, is a good shower sealer, that's what we use when the customers can afford it, its not cheap, they also make a drain for this system and it $100 easy,
    I can't remember what the mat itself runs but you mortar this in and tile right after it, it comes with corner pieces where as the rubber membranes will bunge up in the corner making the tile angle out in the corners.

There is also a spray sealant it takes 3 coats to seal the shower, it go right over the durock backer board.
    Other than those 2 methods is all we use. We don't use the rubber membrane anymore, but there's nother wrong with it, just be careful not to damage the membrane with droped tile or screws and nails on the bottoms of you shoes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 07:10 PM
    The special part is that we use mortar, not concrete. There is no aggregate in this cement. Consider this as an option if you have never done a pan from scratch. Swirl-Way: Alto 7514 Shower Base, Shower Bases If you really want to try mortar then read this. Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb. I do mostly fiberglas and never have a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing custom sized shower pan on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing an existing fiberglass shower unit to replace it with a larger, custom-built ceramic tile shower. The subfloor is a post-tension concrete slab. I will not be able to move the drain, so it won't be centered in the new shower floor. I'm Ok with having an off-center drain. But, all...

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Removing a Shower Tile Pan on a concrete slab (Basement) [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove a tiled shower pan from my shower in the basement. I am planning on replacing the floor pan with a pre-fabricated version. I am presuming that I remove the existing tile with a chisel and hammer, my concern is how do I make the area level once I...

Question about pouring concrete [ 2 Answers ]

Just ripped up the floor of my second bath to replace all the pipes. The bath is on the first floor sitting on a concrete slab. In other words I have no basement and had to jack hammer and break up the concrete in order to replace the pipes. All pipes are roughed and the sand/dirt is back in...

Pouring Concrete [ 2 Answers ]

If I have to pour concrete over a large area (8 cubic yards) can I pour it in sections or does it have to be all at once?

View more questions Search