Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    numberonemommy Posts: 24, Reputation: 0

Oct 31, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Are you a stepchild, I need your input
    Hi, this has nothing to do with my other post, but I've been reading some of the questions and answers based on stepparents and stepchildren, and it's made me question a couple things.

I have a stepson. He just turned 19 months, and he came into my husband and my life when he was 5 months old. I truly love him as my own son, and will never think of him any less than my own son. Now I've read a couple stepchildren have said that they really feel closer and respect their stepparents more when they call them their own child, treat them the same, etc. I have no problem with treating my stepson as my own, I do that everyday, I'd call him everyday when he's at his moms, but I know she would flip out on me, so I don't... but is it really okay to call him my son and not my stepson? And I need the opinions of STEPCHILDREN, because obviously biological parents won't feel the same, but this isn't about them, it's about the children. I don't care if you're a 40 year old stepchild or a 14 year old stepchild, I would like your opinion on the matter. Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 06:17 AM

You ARE Mom.

Oct 31, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    You ARE Mom.
    I'm a little confused about this answer?
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 06:25 AM

Too lengthy to answer now, will post back later, I am a 51 year old step kid.

Oct 31, 2008, 06:26 AM

Haha okay, thanks.
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Oct 31, 2008, 06:26 AM

What does the son call you?

Oct 31, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ANB428 View Post
    What does the son call you?
    Well, he isn't talking all that much yet because he's only 19 months old. But we go with Mama T, and that's what he knows me by (we know, because we do tests to see if he knows who someone is, he knows who his sissy is and that her name is Azi, he knows his Daddy, his Papa, his Meme, and his Mama T)... That's what we chose to go with so that our daughter doesn't start calling me something other than Mommy, because if she ever called me by my name I think it'd break my heart.

Oct 31, 2008, 06:40 AM

Yea, I totally understand. Mine is now three and calls me by my first name to push my buttons. LOL. Anyway, I am a step-child and have been for like about 15 years. I didn't get along with my stepdad ever, but he married my mom when I was like 8 or 9. So, that was a huge change for me and I would never want him to call me his own. It is different when you have been there since day one. My friend is a step-mother and she ALWAYS referred to her step-kids as her own and they never really minded even though they lived with their real mom. It is kind of like having two moms and who wouldn't want that? LOL. I think that it would be okay for you to refer to him as your own. It is not like you are just some woman that his dad married and he was already 8 and you were just coming into his life, you are there now and he will know you growing up.

Oct 31, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Yea, I totally understand. Mine is now three and calls me by my first name to push my buttons. LOL. Anyways, I am a step-child and have been for like about 15 years. I didn't get along with my stepdad ever, but he married my mom when I was like 8 or 9. So, that was a huge change for me and I would never want him to call me his own. It is different when you have been there since day one. My friend is a step-mother and she ALWAYS refered to her step-kids as her own and they never really minded even though they lived with their real mom. It is kinda like having two moms and who wouldn't want that? LOL. I think that it would be okay for you to refer to him as your own. It is not like you are just some woman that his dad married and he was already 8 and you were just coming into his life, you are there now and he will know you growing up.
    Thanks, yes, I want call him my own, and at home I do, and with my husband I do, but I've always felt like I didn't want to step on his real mom's toes by calling him my son to anyone else, though everyone we KNOW knows he's my stepson anyway... so I guess it wouldn't be that bad, and lately I would just rather call him my own to EVERYONE anyway because at this point I feel I'm the only real mom he has. His biological mother doesn't take care of him 100% like she should, she cares more about herself and partying and doing what she wants to do and doesn't use the cs we give her for him (she doesn't even have a pair of shoes for him that fit him because the last time she had shoes for him was when he got them from someone else for his first birthday 7 months ago!)... and I know I wouldn't dump my child off with anyone as easily as she does.

I just feel so bad for him because he deserves so much better in a mother, and so I try to be what he deserves as best I can. I spoil him rotten, as I do with our daughter, I love shopping for them both, getting them new clothes, toys, stuff for their rooms. And it hurts to know that when he's with his bio mom she bashes me and I know when he's older she's going to try her best to turn him against me. But I know he loves me right now, he's always ready to come crawl into my arms and give me kisses and hugs.
    cjenni07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 07:20 AM

My stepfather came into my life when I was 2 years old and he is no longer with my mom but to this day I am still HIS daughter and he will always be my dad. If he was to ever tell someone I was his stepdaughter if would hurt me deeply. Just because you are not biologically related does not mean he is less of your son or you are less of his mom. Hope this helps

Oct 31, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cjenni07 View Post
    My stepfather came into my life when I was 2 years old and he is no longer with my mom but to this day I am still HIS daughter and he will always be my dad. If he was to ever tell someone I was his stepdaughter if would hurt me deeply. Just because you are not biologically related does not mean he is less of your son or you are less of his mom. hope this helps
    Thank you, yes that helped me a lot, because my "son" will never remember a time when I won't be in his life unless his biomom ever takes him away from us, which we would fight if it came to that... so thank you, I appreciate your imput. Now I won't feel in the least bad by calling him my son...

I do have to ask, was your real dad in your life at all, because I feel that it MAY be a little different with me and his biomom in his life... or no?

Oct 31, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by numberonemommy View Post
    Thanks, yes, I want call him my own, and at home I do, and with my husband I do, but I've always felt like i didnt want to step on his real mom's toes by calling him my son to anyone else, though everyone we KNOW knows he's my stepson anyway...so I guess it wouldnt be that bad, and lately I would just rather call him my own to EVERYONE anyway because at this point I feel I'm the only real mom he has. His biological mother doesn't take care of him 100% like she should, she cares more about herself and partying and doing what she wants to do and doesnt use the cs we give her for him (she doesn't even have a pair of shoes for him that fit him because the last time she had shoes for him was when he got them from someone else for his first birthday 7 months ago!)...and I know I wouldn't dump my child off with anyone as easily as she does.

I just feel so bad for him because he deserves so much better in a mother, and so I try to be what he deserves as best I can. I spoil him rotten, as I do with our daughter, I love shopping for them both, getting them new clothes, toys, stuff for their rooms. And it hurts to know that when he's with his bio mom she bashes me and I know when he's older she's going to try her best to turn him against me. But I know he loves me right now, he's always ready to come crawl into my arms and give me kisses and hugs.
    Well, whatever the mother says to him about you that is negative will come back and bite her in the butt. He will end up hating her for saying all of these meanful things about you when you are nothing but good to him. Don't worry too much about it and take it one day at a time. Who knows, maybe he gets older he can come live with you guys. I am sure that he needs a loving mother in his life.

Oct 31, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Well, whatever the mother says to him about you that is negative will come back and bite her in the butt. He will end up hating her for saying all of these meanful things about you when you are nothing but good to him. Don't worry too much about it and take it one day at a time. Who knows, maybe he gets older he can come live with you guys. I am sure that he needs a loving mother in his life.
    Thanks. Yes I agree, all I can do is live day by day and show him all the love in the world and hope he sees the truth in all her lies as he gets older. :) Thanks for your imput!
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 05:38 PM

Numberonemommy, I don't understand HAha, sounds jerklike. ANB428 said what I was trying to say but I had to go to work, I'm sorry
    #1 Mommy. Who gave you that name haha?
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 31, 2008, 06:44 PM

I have a step mom, and occasionally she calls me her son and not step son. But that is usually because she doesn't want to confuse people that may think she got remarried again and had a son. I really mind what she calls me. She is my mom away from home. I tell people she is my mom sometimes because it makes things a lot easier. Im 17 if that matters

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wondering what to do about my stepchild. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I have been contemplating this for a while wondering what I need to do. Me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 3 years now. He has a 7 year old boy whom he has full time custody over... his mom is nowhere to be found since he was 2. Okay so I have been there since right after he...

Stepchild Filing [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has a two year son who resides with him in Jamaica, and I live in the US. I am their sole source of financial support and intend on adopting the little boy. I will be filing for citizenship in 2009. My questions are these: Should I begin the adoption process now (in time for...

Would like some input [ 4 Answers ]

I am curious to find out if the symptoms of bi-polar disorder can be somewhat similar to meth and drug abuse. I am allowing my girlfriends cousin to stay with us in our home for the time being. Her behavior is erratic and unpredictable, and I want to get some opinions as to what others think may...

I need more input [ 1 Answers ]

OK I posted last week about my friends CRAZNESS. How should I tell the guy what my friend Did. Should I ask to come meet to further explain. I feel more comfortable in person.. Thanks. How should I do it?

Adoption of stepchild [ 2 Answers ]

How can my soon to be husband adopt my 4 month old son?

View more questions Search