Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 4, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Not like the old days.
    My grand mom was born in 1908... in her time, you usually met someone at an early age, got married and stayed married for life... no matter what.

In those days, divorce was looked down upon as a bad thing. Something you don't do, especially if you are a woman!

What happened?

Today, we get divorced an remarried as if we are changing clothes... don't like your current partner? Ditch them and get another one!

I think this says a lot about society and people in general... and it's not saying anything good. :confused: :(
    mrsabbay Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I think it should be how it was back in the day too. Marriage to me is a sacred agreement and way to many people these days think that its OK to just leave their spouse because they've come to a point in there relationship that is ruff. When two people say those magic word together before god they're supposed to honor it. Being married means you work through the hard times. I myself being only 17 years old get talk down upon because of the way I think. But rather than let it get to me any time I have the opportunity to enfluense my generation ;and the younger generations; I take take that opportunity gladdly. I myself can't change the whole world ;but its been said the children of today are the future. Hopfelly if I or any one else who feels this way about marriage or any other things that effect the world can teach 10 youths it will be passed on and maybe the world will become just that much better. If you dout the youths will tell any one else then remember this 9 out of 10 things a youth hears they will repeat to some one else. Its called gosep
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Ok, what a subject... Lot's of people think that they are just changing with the times. I do not believe that. I agree that marriage should be forever. Although I sometimes think that it sure would be nice to be alone and do my own thing again. I would never, I am definitely in it for good. For better or for worse! I have said it before and I will say it again, the WORSE makes it so much Better. You grow strong together when you go through rough times, the good times just seem to be better. Some people feel like there are no other answers, some people have good reasons for divorce, and some are just plain selfish. Good luck to everyone in a marriage, keep up the good work on staying together. I plan on being just like my grandma and grandpa. Not my mother and father. Show your kids how strong you are that you can get through it no matter what!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 10:15 AM
    My great grandmother got a divorce in the 30s. She was excommunicated from her church for it.

The reason? Her husband was physically and sexually abusing her and her 4 daughters.

Maybe divorce IS kind of easy to get these days, but that's better than being stuck with someone who will abuse you for the rest of your life.

When you have cases like this, is it REALLY better to stay "for better or for worse"?

The problem, to me, is that people see too much in black and white.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Synnen, I am glad she left. Like I said there are good and bad and selfish reasons. I don't think anyone should be in an abusive relationship at all. Sometimes black and white can be right and wrong. I know there are a lot of grey areas, most of the time we can fix those. I just think some people think it is easier not to fix them. Remember only my opinion. I am not telling anyone what to do here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

Need a few days [ 14 Answers ]

Hey All, My G/f broke up with me last week. After not talking to me for a few days she started talking somewhat. Now she said were going out again. But she said she needs a few days alone. Cause of what I did and she deserves it. So anytime I try to call her she doesn't talk gets angry and hangs...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

One of those days [ 15 Answers ]

I am at work. I have a lot to do. I don't want to do anything. It is 10:50. I am in a give-a-$hit mood. I find myself being ornery with co-workers (in a fun way.) Trying to look busy in front of the boss. :cool: So on and so forth. Is anyone else having that kind of a day where they...

F1 to H1 - just 5 days on F1 [ 6 Answers ]

To Atlantataxexpert I have followed your posts on this forum and request your advice on my case. I am an Indian citizen working on H1B. My H1 started on Jan 6, 2005 and I was on OPT (F1) from Jan 1 to Jan 5, 2005, I was outside the US from Dec 5 to Dec 31, 2005. If I am not wrong, I pass the...

View more questions Search