Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luv2boat38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 01:27 PM
    GFI switch
    My GFI switch has poped and will not reset.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 15, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2boat38
    My GFI switch has poped and will not reset.
    Do you remember when it tripped and what caused the GFCI to "pop"? I've found that most GFCI equipped outlets need to be replaced pretty often. I would replace it... If you still have a problem (the new GFI trips when you turn the circuit back on), something using that circuit is either drawing too much "juice" or there's a short.

I'm NOT an electrician. This is just a suggestion for you.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 04:43 PM
    The first thing I ask when this happens is, Have you had any other work done on your building recently? I mean any holes drilled ?crawling in your attic or underneath the building? Have you plugged something new in anywhere? Have you installed some new electrical ? A tripped GFCI indicates a ground fault, a short circuit, another GFCI installed on the same neutral (older GFCIs), disconnected ground wire (ground fault) , or a problem in a downstream GFCI protected outlet.Sometimes it's what is plugged into the outlet. Pass & Seymour make new GFCIs that are less prone to nuisance/false tripping with a light that goes on when they are tripped. This may require a good service electrician to figure out if none of the above helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't my GFI let me reset it? It has been fine with the christmas lights until today.

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

GFI trips when fliping switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an outdoor fountain with a pump that is pluged into a new outlet next to the pump. I connected that outlet to an outdoor switch on the porch so I can turn the punp on and off without going to the fountain. I taped into an existing outdoor outlet on the porch and put the switch next to...

Gfi with switch [ 5 Answers ]

I want to replace my bathroom receptacle with switch (for overhead lite) with a gfi w/switch. My source hot line comes in with a 2 wire line (black/white). The line in the wall has a 3 wire line (black/white/red). What is the proper way to wire the line side of the gfi and the load side? I want the...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search