Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe Keller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 09:51 PM
    New basement shower is overflowing with smelly water.not sure if it is sewer.
    Hi there?
    The shower in my basement has been overflowing with smelly ?sewer? Or dirty water
    At least 3 times a week 8 months after it was built by a contractor. (we hardly used the shower since it was first built). It started probably once a week and is worse now. The city inspected and advised it is "not their problem". My contractor claimed he did put in a "U" tube when he installed the shower. Should we remove the entire shower and jack it higher so we can have a deeper "U" tube to prevent the sewer from flowing backward? Or what may be the problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Hey Joe,

A deeper trap won't stop the backups. This is caused by a blockage or poor drainage. I don't think raising the shower or tearing up the floor5 would help, however, they make a backflow preventer,(see image) for floor drains that you might try. Check them out at;
    Flood guards for floor drains - check valve to prevent flooding from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water is overflowing to toilet downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... We have 1 1/2 bath home. When you either use the shower or flush the toilet upstairs - the toilet in the half bath downstairs starts to overflow. We have tried over the counter measures - but nothing seems to help. Please advise.

Basement Toilet Overflowing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 floor house with a full basement. Each floor has a bathroom located on it. The basement toilet recently started to overflow even though it is not being used. The water in the toilet is almost black and seems to overflow when water in the rest of the house is used. I attempted to use a...

Smelly Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Our six year old basement bathroom, consisting of one sink, one toilet, and one shower has a continual sewer smell. It is especially strong in the summer and especially at the shower. This bathroom is not used much, mostly on the weekends. We have tried deodorizers which seem to help...

Drain water from disposal coming up in basement shower [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the smelly drain water from disposal and washer :confused: come up in basement shower

HELP! Yucky sewer water in basement! [ 1 Answers ]

There is a pipe behind the washing machine in my basement that is spurting sewer-water all over the place when we flush or use the shower. Our washing machine has its drain hook snaked through the top of the pipe (has been like that for years) and that's where the water from the toilet and shower...

View more questions Search