Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GlennH252 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2015, 05:57 AM
    1/2" PEX for hot water
    Hi,

I am replumbing an efficiency apartment - 1 person only.

I want to move the hot water heater from an inaccessible location to a location that I can access in the future when it needs service or replacement. The new location would be about 25 feet away from the living space, with the pipes buried under ground, wrapped in insulation.

One of the disadvantages of this increased distance is the lag time between when the user calls for hot water and when it eventually shows up.

To fix this, my thought is to run 3/4" PEX to the hot water heater, and 1/2" PEX from the hot water heater back to the house. Since the 1/2" pipe carries only about 25% of the water of the 3/4" pipe, the hot water should arrive 4 times faster, and waste much less cold water ahead of the hot. And since there is only one person in the small unit, there will never be the problem of running the sink while taking a shower.

Does this make sense?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 11, 2015, 06:50 AM
    There are a number of instant hot water systems available. All cost money in terms of energy lost, but the "on demand system" is probably the least costly.

I have a gravity recirculation system but I also have a multi-story home with the water heater in the basement. Recirculation pumps usually cost about the same as a 60 to 100 light fixture to operate.

The on demand systems have the greater up front cost but would have the least cost to operate. There are even systems with remote sensors for multiple points of use.

A 1/2" Pex supply would probably be inadequate for the entire apartment (kitchen and bath) since 1/2" Pex is slightly smaller than 1/2" copper or CPVC.

Google "hot water recirculation system"
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2015, 04:58 PM
    Doesn't make sense and the flow is too low. Pipe with 3/4 and use a recirculator. If I use your logic, why not use 1/4" copper?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 11, 2015, 06:23 PM
    I agree, this is not a good solution unless you put in a circulation pump. " Since the 1/2" pipe carries only about 25% of the water of the 3/4" pipe, the hot water should arrive 4 times faster," This is not a correct statement because you did not consider you reduced volume by a significant amount.
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2015, 09:04 AM
    Start with a 1'' PEX line, and then move along to 3/4'' at the fixtures. This will keep your volume up and maintain a good flow of pressure.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2015, 02:55 PM
    I agree with above suggestions...

1/2" PEX is actually around 3/8" I.D. You should run at least 3/4" PEX from the water heater - if not 1". The size of pipe should match outlet on the Water Heater - which is 3/4".

Hope that helps

Milo
    GlennH252 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2015, 04:02 PM
    Thanks for all the input.

I plumbed the hot water (and cold water) using all 1/2" PEX. In total, there was less than 30 feet of each hot and cold. It runs from the hot water heater to kitchen sink to bathroom vanity to shower.

It works fine. Pressure is very good. And hot water seems to reach the shower quickly.

I assume if the runs had been longer, or multiple people were accessing at the same time there would be a problem, but not in this small efficiency.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 31, 2015, 11:34 PM
    Glad you are happy with the volume you are getting out of that 1/2" PEX.

Milo
    douglasken Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2015, 11:43 AM
    You may understand differences between flow rate and pressure.. if you make supply 3/4" and back 1/2" you rise your pressure but loose you flow rate its doesn't make sense.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2015, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasken View Post
    You may understand differences between flow rate and pressure.. if you make supply 3/4" and back 1/2" you rise your pressure but loose you flow rate its doesn't make sense.
    You don't rise pressure, that is regulated by the PRV. You lose volume but may find flow increased somewhat. Total volume still drops.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 02:54 PM
    I agree with ma, changing pipe size has no effect on pressure, it only alters volume.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

Pex re-pipe in attic, now cold water hot for 3-4minutes, now what? [ 2 Answers ]

We had our house repiped with Pex (in the attic) and now the cold water takes 3 to 4 minutes to get cold. We are on well water/pressure tank and live in the hot south central USA. The attic does get very hot. The Pex has a foam insulated cover around it. What can we do now? More insulation or...

Pex Manifold hot/cold chambers [ 5 Answers ]

I searched as many topics as I could to find the answer to my question, but couldn't find anything. I have a vangard manabloc (Pex manifold) I have two chambers, hot/cold, both with 9 hookups, the 7 on the top are for 3/8" and the two on the bottom are for 1/2". The hot side has all red tags,...

Instant hot water with PEX system [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way for me to get instant hot water to a faucet using a PEX manifold system? Or can I run the cold through the manifold and loop the hot?

View more questions Search