Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jer0177 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2005, 09:34 PM
    Bathroom remodel question (putting tub where WC used to be)
    Not sure exactly how to connect to the 4" cast soil pipe that the house has, but, as the title says, I'm trying to connect a 1.5" or 2" tub drain to the 4" cast pipe (that's been in place for many, many years, and is pretty crusty). Any recommendations on a good sol'n to this?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jer0177
    Not sure exactly how to connect to the 4" cast soil pipe that the house has, but, as the title says, I'm trying to connect a 1.5" or 2" tub drain to the 4" cast pipe (that's been in place for many, many years, and is pretty crusty). Any recommendations on a good sol'n to this?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy,
    First you must take a set of ratchet chain cutters and cut out the cast iron closet bend. Depending on where you want the shower drain to go you are now free to use a No-Hub band or a neoprene coupling to join a 4 X 2" ,( not 1 1/2") PVC reducer to the end of the cast iron and do the rest of the conversion in PVC. Good luck, Tom
    jer0177 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2005, 08:09 AM
    One more ?
    The closet flange and pipe leading to the stack is (was) copper, and it looked like it was sealed in place with some sort of fiber, but it was loose and slid right out when tugged (possibly a result of breakng up the 4" of concrete that was the floor), so all I'm left with now is the hub at the sanitary Y on the 4" cast stack. How can I join to that? Should I slide the copper back in (how would I seal it?), and use the 3" to 2" neoprene boot that I've already got? (picked up a small assortment of things to try to do this, then the copper 3" line came out, and now I'm stuck)...

Thanks!

Jeremy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jer0177
    The closet flange and pipe leading to the stack is (was) copper, and it looked like it was sealed in place with some sort of fiber, but it was loose and slid right out when tugged (possibly a result of breakng up the 4" of concrete that was the floor), so all I'm left with now is the hub at the sanitary Y on the 4" cast stack. How can I join to that? Should I slide the copper back in (how would I seal it?), and use the 3" to 2" neoprene boot that I've already got? (picked up a small assortment of things to try to do this, then the copper 3" line came out, and now I'm stuck)....
    Thanks!
    Jeremy

Leave the copper out. The cast Iron hub is 3"? You have several options here. You can hire a plumber to pour a lead and okum joint and lead in a short piece of 3" cast iron and connect your boot to that or purchase a 3 cast iron X 2" to PVC "rubber" gasket to go in the hub. You can then bevel and grease the end of the 2" PVC to push into the gasket. Your choice!
    Go for it. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having to re-do a basement bathroom remodel due to a drain in the laundry room that repeatedly overflows due to the shower drain being connected to this drain it gets clogged with hair quite often. We have a drain cover which helps a little, however my question is, is there any way to do...

Remodel Question [ 3 Answers ]

We are re-modeling a 1/2 bath, and have removed the old 32' x 32" shower. The drain is 16" centered from each corner. We want to expand the shower to about 34" x 48", making it a ceramic interior. My question is how do I make a new shower basin? The drain, I believe, is cast iron, in a concrete...

Remodling Bathroom, moving toilet and putting in Tub, not sure how to run drains [ 15 Answers ]

The main question I have is how the flow should be on the shower because I do no see a way for it to be upstream from the toilet and vent. Can someone please offer some advice on how to run the pipes, I am pretty handy and usually do my own work, but I don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks,

Bathroom Remodel [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom and want to move the water supply lines for the pedestal sink. They currently come out through the floor about 2" in from an exterior wall. This makes them somewhat of an eyesore with a pedestal sink. I want to move the supply lines so they continue through the floor to...

Big Bathroom Remodel [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, love this site!  I'm pretty handy around the house, but know very little about plumbing.  I have the basic concepts in hand okay, I just don't know any of the rules. My question is this: My current upstairs bathroom is tied into a 4" vertical waste stack that runs from my basement to...

View more questions Search