Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Bathroom remodel question (putting tub where WC used to be) (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=8055)

• Feb 26, 2005, 09:34 PM
    jer0177
    Bathroom remodel question (putting tub where WC used to be)
    Not sure exactly how to connect to the 4" cast soil pipe that the house has, but, as the title says, I'm trying to connect a 1.5" or 2" tub drain to the 4" cast pipe (that's been in place for many, many years, and is pretty crusty). Any recommendations on a good sol'n to this?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • Feb 27, 2005, 07:59 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jer0177
    Not sure exactly how to connect to the 4" cast soil pipe that the house has, but, as the title says, I'm trying to connect a 1.5" or 2" tub drain to the 4" cast pipe (that's been in place for many, many years, and is pretty crusty). Any recommendations on a good sol'n to this?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
    First you must take a set of ratchet chain cutters and cut out the cast iron closet bend. Depending on where you want the shower drain to go you are now free to use a No-Hub band or a neoprene coupling to join a 4 X 2" ,( not 1 1/2") PVC reducer to the end of the cast iron and do the rest of the conversion in PVC. Good luck, Tom
  • Feb 27, 2005, 08:09 AM
    jer0177
    One more ?
    The closet flange and pipe leading to the stack is (was) copper, and it looked like it was sealed in place with some sort of fiber, but it was loose and slid right out when tugged (possibly a result of breakng up the 4" of concrete that was the floor), so all I'm left with now is the hub at the sanitary Y on the 4" cast stack. How can I join to that? Should I slide the copper back in (how would I seal it?), and use the 3" to 2" neoprene boot that I've already got? (picked up a small assortment of things to try to do this, then the copper 3" line came out, and now I'm stuck)...

Thanks!

Jeremy
  • Feb 27, 2005, 10:33 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jer0177
    The closet flange and pipe leading to the stack is (was) copper, and it looked like it was sealed in place with some sort of fiber, but it was loose and slid right out when tugged (possibly a result of breakng up the 4" of concrete that was the floor), so all I'm left with now is the hub at the sanitary Y on the 4" cast stack. How can I join to that? Should I slide the copper back in (how would I seal it?), and use the 3" to 2" neoprene boot that I've already got? (picked up a small assortment of things to try to do this, then the copper 3" line came out, and now I'm stuck)....
    Thanks!
    Jeremy

Leave the copper out. The cast Iron hub is 3"? You have several options here. You can hire a plumber to pour a lead and okum joint and lead in a short piece of 3" cast iron and connect your boot to that or purchase a 3 cast iron X 2" to PVC "rubber" gasket to go in the hub. You can then bevel and grease the end of the 2" PVC to push into the gasket. Your choice!
    Go for it. Tom