Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cablaine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2014, 07:06 AM
    Re: garnishment of wages
    Last week my boss received court papers for garnishment of my wages. First of all this was 16 years ago the judgement. My question is can a company just all of a sudden 16 years later garnish my wages. I've had the same job for 9 years, and they have been tracking me for at least 5 years. Just garnish my wages and also make me pay the accrued interest when they chose to wait on garnishing my wages until I accrued $1600.00 in interest and then make me pay it. I want to file a motion to vacate this judgement do I have a leg to stand on
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2014, 07:32 AM
    Well #1 they DID win a judgement... and they have probibly kept renewing the judgement until they got something solid to go after recently. Which they can do indefinitely even over 30 years... I know someone that spent over 30 pursuing someone that had a judgement against before they were able to get what they were owed.

You've got zero chance of getting it vacated after 16 years. Just pay what you owe and get it behind you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2014, 10:09 AM
    It's a common misconception that there's a SOL on judgments - there isn't.
    There is a SOL on getting a judgment. But clearly they got one, long ago.
    After the recession hit in 07-08, lots of debt collection started up again.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 21, 2014, 10:11 AM
    Depending on what state or country you are in, a judgment cannot be enforced after some amount of years has elapsed. Of course, normally the judgment creditor can renew the judgment, but (if the period has expired) they can't execute without doing so.

OP might consider asking that the judgment interest rate be reduced. It used to be (depending on the state) 8% or higher, but now that the prime rate is almost zero, it would make sense that it be reduced too. Judges go for a lot of wacky things under the rhetoric of equal protection; it might be worth a shot.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2014, 10:57 AM
    You have no grounds to vacate the judgment. Judgments usually expire in 7-10 years depending on area (Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area). And in most areas they are renewable at least once.

The fact that a court issued the writ of garnishment should indicate it was legal.

I'm amused by your ire towards the judgment holder finally deciding to use a garnishment. Clearly you were aware of this judgment, but made no move to pay or settle. Yet when they try to collect their legal debt you get angry.

Maybe if you had tried taking responsibility for your debts it wouldn't have gotten to this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment of wages [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a summons of continuing garnishment from my place of work that was served to them I don't know how long ago. From the looks of it it has a date stamped on it of aug 05,09. It says that they have 45 days to respond. What do at this point? How much of my wages can be garnished? Is...

My check is being garnished by a debt collector. They are taking out 25% and now I can't pay my bills. I tried to come to an agreement but they won't change anything. I lost my job a car and house, now I finally got a full time job. I live in Louisiana. What can I do besides bankruptcy.

Is it possible to garnish a persons wages without going to Small Claims Court?

Garnishment of wages [ 4 Answers ]

My wages are being garnished. The company I work for adds in the money that they pay towards my health insurance on my paycheck then takes it right back out for the insurance. Can they take 25% of my wages including that money? It's not my takehome pay but it is for health insurance, so I'm not...

Garnishment of Wages [ 3 Answers ]

My wages are being garnished. The company I work for adds in the money that they pay towards my health insurance on my paycheck then takes it right back out for the insurance. Can they take 25% of my wages including that money? It's not my takehome pay but it is for health insurance, so I'm not...

View more questions Search