Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7up Posts: 180, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2014, 10:34 AM
    Chicago electric welder problems
    I have a 90amp flux wire welder that the motor went out.I've have replaced the motor but now when I press the trigger nothing happens,so I disconnected the motor wires and hooked them to a multimeter to see if there was power to the motor wires,and there was no power.I checked the fuse and it was good.so if anybody can help me find the problem please do reply.also when power is turned on to the unit all else works,its just no power is being sent to the motor when the trigger is depressed.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 11:57 AM
    A volt meter between the wires to the motor will only show voltage is the trigger is depressed (motor running). Check for voltage between each wire and the ground, with trigger depressed, to see if you have voltage. One wire should show voltage.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2014, 12:16 PM
    You will probibly find there is a control board failure. Chicago electric is cheap CHinese crap... good luck finding parts, many of the components don't usually even have real part numbers on them, they just have house numbers that don't cross reference to anything. Read a lot of things over the years on them, enough to discourage me from buying one.

But as was mentioned....you would only have something to measure when the trigger is depressed. I seem to remember those might use stepper motors however. Something I discovered when trying to find a way to use a spool gun on my older lincoln MIG welder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I hook up my welder to my generator the generator has a 4 wire plug my welder is [ 0 Answers ]

Can I hook up my welder to my generator the gen. has a 4 wire 240v plug welder is 3 wire?

Electric Range Problems [ 5 Answers ]

When I moved back into my trailer, the stove was not working. When I turned on a burner, the burner light would come on, but the element would not heat. When I turned on the oven, the light would come on, but go out when I turned up the dial and the oven would not heat. I bought a new stove and...

Operating a Chicago Tools Electric Saw Blade Sharpener [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a Chicago Tools Electric Saw Blade Sharpener. However, the owner's manual is lacking any real instructions on the specific details of sharpening a saw blade (table saw or circular saw blade). Where can I find guidance on using the electric saw sharpener effectively?

Why is the University of Chicago blocking access to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge? [ 33 Answers ]

See this interesting article by Stanley Kurtz in National Review Online: Stanley Kurtz on Barack Obama, Bill Ayers & Chicago Annenberg Challenge on National Review Online "When Obama made his first run for political office, articles in both the Chicago Defender and the Hyde Park Herald featured...

Auto electric problems [ 2 Answers ]

When I use my right hand indercator the fog light flashes as well and the rear light what can ido to repair the problem

View more questions Search