Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynn_G Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Electric Range Problems
    When I moved back into my trailer, the stove was not working. When I turned on a burner, the burner light would come on, but the element would not heat. When I turned on the oven, the light would come on, but go out when I turned up the dial and the oven would not heat.
    I bought a new stove and exactly the same thing is happening. The person I was renting to replaced the circuit breaker for the stove, so I am wondering if improper installation of the breaker may be the cause, or is it more likely wiring. The dryer is on the same breaker, and works fine.
    I note the power cable going to the stove comes directly out of the main power box located under the trailer, but still seems to be connected somehow to a 30 amp breaker in the main breaker box.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2010, 09:09 PM
    " the dryer is on the same breaker" I can't imagine that you have both on the same breaker, that's 80 amps! If the light comes on and not the heating, you may have a broken or disconnected wire at the breaker or outlet or a bad breaker or a broken or disconnected wire in what appears to be a junction box under the trailer. A range runs on 120/240, a double breaker. Follow the range wire to the box under the trailer and open it up then trace it back to the breaker box, I believe you will find a separate breaker. BE CAREFUL, you'll be on the ground with 240 Volts in the junction box!

Dec 17, 2010, 11:19 PM
    Thanks, I suspected it might be wiring and will check it out. They are definitely on the same breaker, since the lights go off on the stove when I turn off the breaker, and the dryer stops running. Obviously, I have never been able to run both appliances at the same time.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2010, 09:37 AM
    I would give thought to trying to run a separate line to the range. You are most likely overloading the system and may have burned a wire.

Dec 18, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Burned wire sounds like a good possibility. It reminded me that when I moved back in all the fuses for the burners on the stove top were black. It may be the renters ran the dryer and stove at the same time although I specifically told them not to.

Installing a separate wire sounds complicated. They are separate from the junction box, but not from the breakers. Would I need another breaker, what kind of wire would I use, and does anything need to be installed in the junction box?

Also, if I decide to replace the wire from the junction box to the stove, which may well be the problem, does turning off the main circuit breaker also cut the power to the junction box?

Needless to say, I am a newbie when it comes to electrical work. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Hey Lynn, I don't know how you have your MH wired so I can't offer any specific wiring solutions. I don't know what is in the junction box under the house. Modern electrical codes require ranges and dryers to be on separate fused or breakered circuits. Sounds like you have both-you mention breakers and "blackened fuses". A standard range requires a dedicated 120/240Volt 50 amp circuit wired with 6/3 wire. A dryer is 30 Amps 120/240V wired with a 10/4 wire or 10/3 if an older dryer, you need to look at the existing outlet. You would need 2 double breakers, a 50A and a 30A or a double tube fuse block, 50A and 30A. Can't tell if you have that capacity in your box. Would need at a bare minimum 100 AMP service. My suggestion would be to have a qualified electrician look things over and give you some options. You have a liability situation with rental property and improper wiring. Well worth the fix cost vs. a lawsuit if a fire were to break out and injure someone. You may be able to switch out for a gas range and dedicate the other circuit to the dryer. Let us know what happens, Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you convert a gas range over to an electric range? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! We just brought a started house and it is electric through out except for the cooking stove or range is gas. The problem is that it's causing our utility bill to run more that the house payments. I wanted to know if there is a way to switch from a gas range to an electric range. And if...

Can I switch from electric range to gas range [ 5 Answers ]

I have an electric range but I need to buy a new one. I heard that cooking on a gas range is so much better. My husband pulled the range away from the wall and there is a little pipe sticking out of the wall. Is that for a gas stove? Thank you!

Electric range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, We have a GE; spectra electric range, and my wife says that the oven does not get to the correct temp. Can the element be going bad? TIA, Schins

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

GE Electric Range [ 6 Answers ]

Help! My electric Range is 3 years old. The range timer and clock are working,however the oven nor the surface units heat up. Does this sound like something I can repair myself or should I be calling a repair person?

View more questions Search