Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BVRTboston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Plumber cost for kitchen remodel
    Just got a bill from the plumber my contractor uses and I'm suffering from sticker shock. I live in Boston, and I have grown used to paying higher prices. As far as I can tell, I was charged about twice the going rate. Looking for advice/experience on what a reasonable charge would be because right now I'm feeling ripped off.

This was a gut kitchen remodel. The plumber billed me $1475 for hooking up the drain on the sink, installing a 3/4 hp Insinkerator garbage disposal, installing a single handle faucet with pull down sprayer, hooking up a Bosch dishwasher. In addition he charged another $250 to move the gas line from upper left to lower right for my new 30 inch GE slide in. That was the only thing that had to be moved. I purposely kept the same floor plan to keep costs down. The sink was already installed in the new cabinet and the old appliances were already hauled away. I purchased the sink, faucet, disposal and D/W myself.

Opinions, anyone? I don't have much experience with this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 19, 2013, 03:23 PM
    Downtown Boston, no place to park, tickets every 30 minutes? Big city rates do include tickets.
    Inspection? Waiting time, etc.

But it is high. Did you hire him yourself, and not get a quote, or did your contractor just send him in, or what? Tell him it's too much and you want to cut it in half - see what he says.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 04:16 PM
    Did the plumber also have to make a trip out to remove/disconnect everything prior to starting the kitchen remodel? If so, you certainly need to factor this into the number, right?

Like Joypulv asked, were there plumbing and gas permits here? How about a rough and a final inspection?

As far as I can tell, factoring in everything I just presented and the fact that we always factor a couple tickets into most jobs in Boston, as well as the fact that the contractor expects to mark the plumber up here all sounds about in line (Boston area plumber).

It is always so easy to question things at the end of the job. I guess I am left wondering why there was no down payment and why you are left so surprised... didn't the contractor even discuss pricing?

Mark
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
    How much did the rest of the remodel cost? I am betting you got a pretty hefty bill without the plumbers work? Why is it that plumbers should cost so much less than the rest of the work being done? Are you happy with the result? I know it sucks, but 1500 dollars in this day and age really does not go very far in any area for any work hired out. How much do you think a new bed set cost. How much is a new car or pickup. The price for the job in question really is not out of the ballpark in contrast to cost of other amenities. If you want safe drinking water with sanitary drain/vent conditions, you have to pay for the service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen remodel [ 4 Answers ]

I remodeled my kitchen I bought a new light fixture for it in the ceiling there is a black,white and red all hooked together with a wire nut. Then there is a black, a white and a green up there as well. At the Switch there is only black and white the light comes on but you cannot turn it on or off...

Kitchen Remodel [ 9 Answers ]

Good day, I am remodeling my u-shaped kitchen and turning the sink/dishwasher wall into an island. The water lines run into the slab below but the drain pipe runs along the half wall all to the adjacent wall. I had already planned it needed to route electric to the island under the slab but no...

Kitchen remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement (dirt floor) with a ceiling height around 6 ft high. I am planning to install a sub panel in the basement to supply circuits to a kitchen on the first floor. Can I use romex from the sub panel to feed circuits to the kitchen above? The basement walls and ceiling have exposed studs...

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

We need to install our sink and the dishwasher, the existing drain pipe for this is currently blocking the dishwasher in the back. I need to know if I can change the drain from the current pipe into a 2 inch vent pipe. Tough question to ask and hard to describe. Any help would be wonderful.

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

Am doing a kichen remodel and I have 100 watts panel with 3 spaces one for the range one for the refrigarator I want to install 12 outlet and 7 reses lighting is this enough circuts or I need to buy a sub panel.

View more questions Search