Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newkitchen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Kitchen Remodel
    Good day,
    I am remodeling my u-shaped kitchen and turning the sink/dishwasher wall into an island. The water lines run into the slab below but the drain pipe runs along the half wall all to the adjacent wall. I had already planned it needed to route electric to the island under the slab but no appears the drain as well. I plan on breaking up the slab along the same route the pipe takes now when I remove the half wall, dropping the drain pipe below the slab and repouring the slab over the trench. I understand drain should be deep enough to be covered and not against the concrete. Is there anything else I may be missing? What is the slope needed for every foot of run? Any comments much appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
    Depends where you live. Some use the International codes, some are local and may be dependent on pipe size. Check with your code dept. Some I've seen require a slope of 1/4" per ft if 2" or less, 1/8" per foot if 3" or larger. Typically you would use a 2" for this type of drain. Note that you will need to vent the sink in the island. Check if your local codes allow Studor-AAV vents-I hope they do, it's a lot easier. Electrical will have to be GFCI
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 10:49 AM

Hi Newkitchen...

If you are installing an island sink, check to see if you can use an AAV (mechanical vent) as Ma0641 recommended, otherwise, you'll need to run a new waste line AND a new vent line as drawn out below.

Let me know your thoughts...

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 12, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Greetings Woodstock (used to live up there), I am in Palm Beach County FL now. The sink drain is not going to move location or route. I am lowering it from the partial wall to below slab in order to revome the wall from the floor plan. I have not opened the entire wall yet but I am somewhat sure the line is already vented where the wall begins full floor to ceiling height (6'+/- away from sink). Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but in this case would I still need to add a new vent to the island? And your are correct, the existing drain is 2".

Jan 12, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Comment on newkitchen's post
    Had to post as answer, not enough space

Jan 12, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Hi Mass plumber, I was hoping to use what's already there and just extend underground the same route
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 02:39 PM

Hi again..

Code says that you need a vent within 5 feet of the sink PTRAP (6ft is definitely pushing it).

The vent can run straight up with the sink drain coming off a sanitary tee fitting if the PTRAP is within 5 feet of the sink (see A diagram below).

If the sink is over 5 feet away from the vent stack then you need to revent back to the vent stack as in diagram B below.

In diagram C below, the sink drain jumps up and even if within the 5 feet requirement still requires a revent back to the vent stack as in diagram D.

The vent fitting for the revents must connect back to the vent stack and connect into that vent stack at a minimum of 42" off the finish floor. All vents pitch back from the vent stack toward the drain.

If none of these work then the island sink vent will be the proper way to go, but this usually requires special permission so if you are planning on having the job inspected I would recommend that you get approval prior to starting the work.

Finally, if it seems that I am not understanding completely post us a drawing or a picture of your setup and post it here so we can clear it all up, OK?

Questions? Let me know...

Mark
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jan 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Maybe I'm a little confused too. Are you saying that you will be moving the drain line but not changing the distance from the vent? Just to be safe, I would still add an AAV under the sink. You'll need a vent T, a short pipe extension, an adapter, a threaded fitting and the AAV. $30-35 or so for DIY and they way you will be sure and avoid venting issues. Florida allows them but I don't know about Palm Beach County.

PS If the weather gets any worse here, 6 more" of ice and snow Sunday, I might come down there just to do the job and get warm, its 19 now! Brian
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2011, 03:09 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    I think I see it now, cutting out the wall and making an island in it's place.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 03:14 PM

Hi Brian,

If AAVS are allowed then that is the way to go for sure! Check into the AAVs newkitchen... easiest for sure!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement (dirt floor) with a ceiling height around 6 ft high. I am planning to install a sub panel in the basement to supply circuits to a kitchen on the first floor. Can I use romex from the sub panel to feed circuits to the kitchen above? The basement walls and ceiling have exposed studs...

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

We need to install our sink and the dishwasher, the existing drain pipe for this is currently blocking the dishwasher in the back. I need to know if I can change the drain from the current pipe into a 2 inch vent pipe. Tough question to ask and hard to describe. Any help would be wonderful.

Kitchen remodel snag [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a remodel and planned to go to an island from a peninsula bar. Looked as if the plumbing was from the floor and the water lines are. Just opened the wall and the drain line runs back into a wall that I was going to remove. Here is the full deal. One wall I was going to remove I...

Kitchen remodel Plumbing stack in the way [ 7 Answers ]

1. The plumbing stack runs through a wall that I would like to remove 2. I pulled down the drywall ceiling and I see it runs from the basement straight up through the kitchen wall I would like to remove, then 90's towards the back of the house and then to a T joint for the shower drain which is...

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

Am doing a kichen remodel and I have 100 watts panel with 3 spaces one for the range one for the refrigarator I want to install 12 outlet and 7 reses lighting is this enough circuts or I need to buy a sub panel.

View more questions Search