Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIY302 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2013, 12:01 PM
    Connecting pigtails from switch to power supply
    I am replacing the switches in my garage. I need to pigtail the hot wires from the switch to the 3 wire cable hots.

First question: the old pigtails from the switch to the cable wires were solid core. Can I use stranded wire from the switch to the cable wire if both are the same gauge?

Second question: Should I install a box near the switch box where I connect the main cable to 2 wire cable, then connect the switch to the 2 wire cable?

Thanks
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2013, 04:11 AM
    If you are replacing switches, why are are you adding wiring? Are you also relocating the switches?

What kind of stranded wire do you intend to use? THHN copper in conduit? Please give us more details and/or an overview of your project...
    DIY302 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
    I did relocate the switch box.
    My problem was that 10 G was used and it was very hard to make connections, so my thought was it would be easier to pigtail from the switches to a new junction box. Everything I read said that pigtails should be the same gauge and I thought I had to use 10G which would be impossible to stuff in a 2 gang box. I thought the switches I bought came with connecting wires, but when they didn't I didn't know what to use.

When I took out the old switches I found that the connecting wires were 14 G (solid). I don't know why 10G was used initially, there are only the two switches for overhead lights and an outlet on the workbench. Nothing in this house is to code. Everything seems to have been done with leftovers.

New question: What wire is best to use to connect switches or sockets to 12 G? Can you use 14G or does it have to be 12G? Can you use stranded wire?

Thank you very much.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
    Based on what you've just told me, "Nothing in This House is to Code", I strongly recommend you hire or find a professional electrician to personally advise you and to take a good look at your house for any bigger issues that should be addressed...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use pigtails to connect two three-way switches to one power source? [ 1 Answers ]

One power source to two three way switches?

Add a illuminated on/off switch to my power supply [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Inteli power 9100 that I use as a 12vdc power supply. I want to add a lighted on/off switch. The switch is a Eaton lighted rocker with 3 lugs (15 A 125vac / 10A 250vac ) the lugs are marked 1,2 & 3, The power coming into the case has a black, white & green. Can you tell me how to wire...

Wiring illuminated DPST rocker switch to Power Supply [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! First time "asker"! I have recently built a device for medical use, so electrical safety for the patient is of upmost importance. I currently use a medical grade switching Power Supply +/- 15VDC (IPD, model SRP-25-2005). An AC inlet, IEC 320, brings Line and Neutral power to a medical...

Switch mode power supply [ 3 Answers ]

Please send a pitcher to me to make a switch mode power supply 13.8v dc at 10 amp

Connecting Power Source to 3 Single Pole switch(s) [ 8 Answers ]

:confused:I am building a stand alone garage and I am doing the basic wiring myself. The 3 switch(s) are beside a walk through door on the other side of the building from the panel box. How can I limit the number of source feeds from across the room? One switch controls the two fluorescent ceiling...

View more questions Search