Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    funbanker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Connecting Power Source to 3 Single Pole switch(s)
    :confused:I am building a stand alone garage and I am doing the basic wiring myself. The 3 switch(s) are beside a walk through door on the other side of the building from the panel box. How can I limit the number of source feeds from across the room? One switch controls the two fluorescent ceiling lights inside the garage, one controls two outside lights on each side of the garage door, and one switch controls an outside motion light beside the walk in door. I prefer not to run 3 separate power source cables across the garage. I am thinking I can use a box and get two sources but unsure on the third. Also what type of box and where is it placed (should it be accessible after the garage is sheetrocked?). Thanks!! :):confused:
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Help me understand. You have 3 switches controlling lighting loads, correct? These require only one circuit. You only need one feeder to all three switches, then each switch will feed it's respective circuit. Am I missing something?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Fun, I agree with Missouri, and I am also not sure what the problem is. Why do you need another box. Just run one feed to the box with the three switches.
    You could double what you described and still only need one circuit.

Is there a problem we are not seeing? :confused:
    funbanker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Help me understand. You have 3 switches controlling lighting loads, correct? These require only one circuit. You only need one feeder to all three switches, then each switch will feed it's respective circuit. Am I missing something?
    I understand that one circuit is enough, I am trying to figure out how to run the hot wire to all three switches. My understanding was that I could only have a maximin of 5 wires in the box. I am using a single box with mountings for three switches. Do I use 3 pigtails (one hot to each switch) or what? Sorry I was unclear. Thanks again!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by funbanker View Post
    My understanding was that I could only have a maximin of 5 wires in the box.
    Where did you find this? It is certainly not true.

What is the cu/in capacity of the box? It should imprinted in the back of the box.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 08:02 AM

Use a 3 gang box and it should handle what you are trying to do.
    If the box can only handle 5 wires, it is too small.
    If connections come from junction or lighting, you could do with 5 wires(Ground, Hot and 3 switchlegs.
    I would use a box that would allow 3 dimmers in the future if desired.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:15 AM
    And, if the box is plastic, not only will the cubic inch be stamped inside, the total quantity of the various size wires allowed will also be stamped inside.

Remember to deduct two wires for each device from the total, so, three switches will deduct 6 wires from the total overall amount allowed.
    Attached Images

Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Apr 19, 2009, 08:18 AM

Also when calculating your box fill, regardless of how many you actually have, the grounding wires count as a total of 1. The pigtails you won't count at all. Devices count as 2 for each yoke.

As an example, the diagram TK provided requires a box suitable for 15 conductors.

Here's how we can get that number

1- all grounding
    4- neutrals
    4- hots (1 constant, 3 switched)
    6- 3 switches each with it's own yoke.
    15 total

Now assuming you are using 12AWG wire, you need 2.25 cubic inches per wire so 15 X 2.25 will give you the minimum box size in cubic inches. If you use 14AWG you need 2 cu in per wire.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 08:26 AM

Also if a wire enters and exits the box and not cut, it counts as 1, cut it, and it becomes 2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many lights on single pole switch [ 7 Answers ]

I am planning to install 2 ceiling fans and 2 lights which will be operated from a single pole switch. The switch in question operated 1 light which has been replaced with a 2 light fixture. The ceiling fans will seldom be ran at the same time with the lights. Will this be too much for a single...

Double pole or single pole switch 4 reversing fan [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a switch for my fan and another one for my fan light. I would like to reverse the fan movement. Would I use a double pole double throw or a single pole double throw switch?

Want to add single pole switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a motion detector that gets it power from a outlet in the carport. I like to put a switch to cut it off.the hot wire from the sensor light running thougt the switch back through the outlet. But then I cut it off will it cut off the power to the outlet or just the sensor light ?

Need to add 3-way lighting to a single pole switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have some kitchen lights on a single pole switch. I want to add another switch to control the kitchen lights. I have power in a switch box that I want to add the 3-way light switch. I know Leviton and Lutron both make switches that can make this happen with out running a 14/3 wire between...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

View more questions Search