Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Corey crockhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 09:04 PM
    Root canal that is now abscessed
    I had a rootcanal 8 years ago an now its absessed the size of my thumbnail in the front of my mouth.. why is this if I had the rootcanal how can a absees happen
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
    This is something you'll need to discuss with your dentist.
    Corey crockhill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    This is something you'll need to discuss with your dentist.
    I did cause my crown fell out an they wanted thousand more dollars to do it again so I sought out another dentist an that's when he saw the quarter size abscess.. if all the nerves are extracted how can it abscess?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
    It can get infected for other reasons that have nothing to do with the presence or absence of nerves.

Did he prescribe antibiotics?
    rrathk1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
    Abscesses happen because there is an infection in the tooth. Doesn't matter if there is nerve tissue or not. If the abscess never healed from the original root canal (the only way to tell if via x-ray), then most likely, the dentist missed a canal or left some tissue/bacteria in there. Teeth are tricky, textbooks say that tooth "X" is supposed to have a certain number of canals located in certain areas, but teeth don't read the textbooks. A tooth that is "supposed" to have 3 canals may actually have 4,5 or 6, and the canals may even have little "communications" between one another. Think of it like the letter H, the two long lines are the main canals and the cross is the "communication" aka accessory canal. There are many places inside a root where bacteria can be safe from all the chemicals/files us dentists use, and if some bacteria remain, they are going to continue to multiply and cause problems. However, If the abscess healed and then came back years later, it's because it got re-infected somehow. The most common reason for the re-infection to occur is because the filling came out, or the crown is leaking/came off. Hope that made sense

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First part of the root canal to kill the root... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I just need a bit of advice. Today I had the first part of my root canal done today, it was supposed to be the whole thing but the root of the tooth was badly infected therefore the anesthetic did not numb the nerve (as its PH sensitive and the infection was quite acidic),so it only went...

Root canal [ 0 Answers ]

I had a crown put on at end of Dec. 2010. My tooth kept throbbing and then the dentist took an ex-ray. He saw a dead root and abcess. I started taking penicillin VK 500MG 28 tab one tab 4 times per day. I take last two tabs tomorrow, and the next day, Friday,I am scheduled for root canal. My...

Do I need a root canal ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bottom front tooth that is gowing darker over the years. There is no pain - never has been. The colour of the tooth is not an issue for me - it does not show. The dentist X-Rayed the tooth which appeared completely normal. He tested the tooth and says it is `dead' inside. ...

Root canal [ 3 Answers ]

I have an achy tooth that has a crack through it also .my dentist today took x-ray and it indicated small infection at root.I get panics at dentist and with injections and am only allowed non adrenalin based local anaestethics. I have heard weird stories about root canals e.g. they can give you...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

View more questions Search